Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Darrell Russell

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mudjunkie 82, Jun 27, 2004.

1. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

NHRA Top fuel Driver Darrell Russell was killed today...My prayers go out to his Family.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Holy Sh!t I just went to NHRA web site and they do not have anything on it. I noticed they only have semi-finals results listed, but not the finals. Joe Amato's team was really starting to get better.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Dang, I hadn't heard.

[ QUOTE ]
    Top Fuel driver Darrell Russell was fatally injured Sunday as a result of a crash during race eliminations at an NHRA National Event at Gateway International Raceway.

Russell, 35, of Hockley, Texas, was competing in the second round of eliminations when his dragster went out of control and crashed just past the finish line. Russell was extracted from his dragster by NHRA emergency services officials and transported by air to the St. Louis Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Russell, driver of the dragster owned by NHRA legend Joe Amato, was the event's top qualifier and was coming off a victory recently in Columbus, Ohio. During his four year career he had earned six victories in 17 final rounds. He posted a career-best fourth place points finish in 2003 and was currently fourth in the Top Fuel points standings

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 35 years old.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

WOAH! that really sucks... my prayers will go out to his family, it will be hard for them with out Darrell /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Did something go wrong with the cage or was it that bad of an accident

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It looks like a rear tire let loose right after the chutes came out, it took out the wing and looks like the frame broke up. They said the cage was intact when they removed him. pretty big fire also. They have a Video on e.s.p.n of the wreck.........