Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash Board Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83K5BLZR, Mar 13, 2002.

1. 83K5BLZR

83K5BLZR Registered Member

Has anybody ever removed thier complete dash panel? I've noticed that there are bolts on each side that hold it in place. Is there other areas that the panel is retained? Is the panel supported under the front window seal?

2. do you mean the dash pad? if so you just need to take the bezel off and a handfull of small screws on the pass. side along the bottom and it comes off.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And don't forget about the sneaky screw on the passenger side of the pad facing the door......

4. BigBad75K5

BigBad75K5 1/2 ton status

It bolts to each side but is spot welded all along the windshield frame. You would have to pull the winshield...cut the spot welds...bolt in the new dash and tack weld it back in.
    Good Luck

5. 83K5BLZR

83K5BLZR Registered Member

Thanks, I was afraid of that. The previous owner hacked up the area around the radio. Guess I'll put in some type of adapter.

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Or just do this....<a target="_blank" href=http://jmartin.net/parker/wholedash.jpg>Dash</a>

7. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Nice and clean dash!!!

Eat More Mud!!

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If that is the case, you can weld a patch panel over the existing "hole" where PO hacked the dash. Make the cutout for the new radio in the patch piece and weld it in. You do not need to take the dash pad off to get to this (just the plastic bezel). If you want to take the pad off (to protect during welding) remove the screws along the front edge of the pad (and if 81+ the screw on the passenger's side facing the door) and pull the dash CAREFULLY toward you. There are 5 or so clips under the pad that hold it to the metal portion of the dash. To remove the metal portioin of the dash you have to unbolt the bolts and grind or cut some tack welds, but you shouldn't have to go that far just to fix the hole by the radio. Hope this helps.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Why is it tack welded? I removed and replaced my dash pad without taking the glass out- there are some funky looking clips on the back side of it that went in where the defroster vents are--- thats what held it in near the window...or was an 83 (i asume thats what he has) different than an 86?

Brandy

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Brandy, the original post asked about removing the "entire" metal dash, not the dash pad. The pad comes off easy, as you know. The metal portion of the dash is bolted on at the ends and spot-welded along the windshield. When I removed mine, I just cut along the defroster vents, parallel to the windshield, and left about an inch of steel to fasten my new dash to.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

ah that makes sense- I had never heard of anyone doing that- which is why I figured he meant dash pad- forgive me!

Brandy