Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash brake light wont go off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Jul 13, 2006.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i just put in a 14bff and bled the brakes, i didnt have enough time to get new hard line on there so i was driving my old line for a couple days and it was fine, now i replaced the hard lines from the divider to the drums and now my dash brake light wont go off. the e brake isnt hooked up yet, could that be it?:confused: o ya and 89, no abs

ps. i searched...didnt find much

2. 92k1500CO

92k1500CO Registered Member

dash brake light

The dash brake light in our cars has two purposes - to tell us when the e-brake is on AND to tell us if fluid is low. Sometimes when you bleed out stuff, the prop valve can get stuck, or the sensor for the brake fluid can get junk in it, hence, it turns on the brake light. Time to start taking stuff apart! :doah:

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is a shuttle valve in the splitter. If you don't hold the button in when you bleed it or drive with one system empty the valve goes to one end and switches the light on.
    You can re-centre the switch usually by just putting really heavy pressure on the brake pedal (engine off). If it doesn't, turn ign on but don't syart truck, stand on the pedal and get someone to open the bleed valve that you've been working on. (put a bit of hose on it or something) Once the pedal has gone all the way down close the valve and release the pedal, the light should've gone out.

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Did you check to make sure the pedal is fully released? being no cables hooked up it may not be up all the way.:D

5. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

damn, i got a lot of things to try,i guess ill go start, thanks a lot guys:bow:

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Almost but not quite. It's second purpose is to tell when you when you have a large pressure differential between the front and rear brake systems. Sometimes this is caused by low fluid level but not always.