Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash caps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacked_86chevyk10, May 28, 2004.

1. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

has anyone ever bought one of those dash caps that cost round $100? if so do yall like them- i cant decide whether to try to cover it in beige vinyl or to buy a cap- any pics or advice would help---thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'm gonna end up covering mine with suede or vinyl, pulled tight and stapled underneath. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Did a Coverlay cap on a 79 about 18yrs ago....had to trim a bit here and there to make it fit...still sorta buckled in a few places possibly from the Texas heat...I painted it with Vinyl paint to "kinda" match...looked better than the cracked original...I remember using a lot of glue and being very frustrated...didn't get any on my hootus, so I guess I did ok....depending on how bad yer dash is, I'm using one of those Velour covers on my 89 since the dash is only slightly cracked...it hasn't faded in the heat in 4yrs, haven't looked under it to see if the dash pad has gotten worse...it's just what works for me... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I have installed a dash cap. I found the best way was to remove the dash pad and use the manufacture's silicon glue. Once glued it was held in place with straps, motorcycle tie down straps really work nice as they will wrap all the way around.
    Before assembly warm both pieces in the sun on a very warm day. A dark driveway is a nice place to warm things up.
    Keep the dash out in the sun while drying to expand the unit and avoid craking again.
    Too much glue is a very bad thing. I have made this mistake and the cap now has the same crack down through the center. The cap now can not flex enough under hot and cold variation. It is better to re-glue than to buy another cap.