Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash conversion, people help me decide

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Aug 12, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ok every body this is the deal. i have picked up, here, there, and every where, just about every gm dash (with out dummy guages) that gm has made for my year of blazer. besides the standard generic dash that is in my blazer now(big fuel guage version no accs), i have two tach dashes, a dash with a vaccumm guage, and a real nice dash with a clock. the dashes with the vac guage and clock are in perfect condition(near new). the two tach dashes have broken mounting studs, one is a little crappier and the other is in ok condition. which combo should i run ? run the the tach dash w/o clock and vac guage ? forget the tach dashes and swap in either clock or vac guage ? how about pulling out the temp guage , putting an after market one under the dash and filling the hole with the clock or vac guage.....anyone ever done that before ? btw, whatever i decide to do, the other dashes will be up for sale. all these dashes i know, are rare, especialy the one with the vac guage and the one with the clock(even has the knob).which if any of these would,...if its possible, make my blazer more valuable? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif thanks for any replies/input.

2. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

a bit too much dash/tack stuff for me to keep up with...maybe if you posted some pics of possible combos...!

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I think the tach and the vac would be important, who cares what time it is. Mix and match all of the good stuff in the nicest cluster and sell the rest.

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

HEY MOUSE,
    YA THINK I COULD PULL THE HEAT GUAGE OUT OF THE DASH CLUSTER AND STICK AN AFTER MARKET ONE UNDER THE DASH AND FILL THE HOLE WITH SOMETHING ELSE ?

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

F'it all and go AutoMeter all the way!
    Bill C

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    If it was me, I would put in the nicest looking dash and then I'd swap in all of the rare gauges. Who cares if they actually make your blazer more valuable, all that would matter to me is that it would be something different that not many people have... that's cool. Plus, I doubt that you'd find somebody who would give you more money for your K5 just because it has a vac gauge in it.... these things aren't really collectors items....

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The only reason a clock is rare is that it still works : )

Toss the clock idea for sure. Get a later radio with digital display/clock. (Early 80's Cadillac)

Vacuum gauge I've never seen in a truck dash, unless it was in the commercial over 1 ton chassis', which used the same cluster, but typically used slightly different gauges. Vacuum gauges are cool, kind of amazing how it drops really low as soon as you crack the throttle. I guess if you paid a lot of attention to it, you'd improve mileage a bit. If you don't care about mileage, toss the vacuum gauge idea as well.

As others have said, take the components you like, and build the cluster the way YOU want it.

If you don't want to hack up the blue plastic piece they bolt to, (specific depending on tach, speedo setup, mech or elec. gauges, etc) get a non rare cluster, and cut it up/wire it the way that will work with what you want to run. Then you can keep everything "stock" if you decide to sell it at a later date, and it actually is "good rare" meaning other people want it, versus "bad rare" meaning they aren't commonly found because they were stupid in the first place, and STILL no one wants them. : )

8. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

not to steal the post away but does anyone have pics of custom clusters, like they filled the panel with aluminum and cut out for the guages, i have seen some on other trucks and wasnt sure what all is involved, i would like to do this to my 84 blazer. thanks chris

9. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

dorian,
    where exactly does the vac guage hook up ? i bought this dash off of ebay and the dude told me it was out of like an 80's pu. ill prolly pull the factory temp guage and stick the vac guage in its place and put an after market temp guage under the dash. what do you think ? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Question? Didn't most dashes use a pre-printed circuit board (electric vs. mechanical gauges) for the instrumentation? If that is the case you are limited as to what you can put where as far as factory gauges. If you go mechanical (or electric aftermarket) it won't matter as you run seperate wires/lines. I would assume you have to find the factory sending units, and a factory printed circuit with the configuration you are looking for, to run the factory gauges......or am I missing something again /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ?

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Sure you could pull the heater gauge and put in an aftermarket one. As for the printed circut board, you can find the right wires and over ride it. You can do what ever you want!

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Vac gauge I'm sure was straight to manifold vac. Either the carb will have some manifold vac fittings, or just tee off of one on the intake.

Personally I like factory gauges, except clocks. I'd pull the clock and run vac gauge in that location if it were I.