Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash Cover

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Jul 20, 2000.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if the padded dash panel comes off so I can replace my front speakers which don't work, and what size speakers can I fit/push in there?

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

yes, it comes off. there's actually quite a bit of room under there.
    the stock mounts will only let you go so big, but it's a truck! you can modify it!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Yes, it comes off. You will have to remove the plastic gauge cover by taking out ALL the screws around it - about 8 or 10? Your dash also has screws in it above the ash tray and glove box - 3 or 4. I have speakers in my door so when I replaced my dash I took out the stock speakers in the dash and threw them away. Speakers are better in your doors. You can fit bigger ones in the doors which sound better. If you want to keep speakers hidden in the dash there's not much room for speakers much bigger than what was installed at the factory.

CHEVY - "THE HEARTBEAT IS GETTING LOUDER"

4. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I looked at putting 6.5" speakers in the door but the depth of the speaker seems to deep and would hit the power window motor, and I don't real good about cutting a hole and then find out I can't fit a speaker there, the 3" or 4" that are in the dash will work good enough, I have swapped the two back 4x10's to 4 way 6x9"'s and added a 12" bandpass box and two sony explode amps.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Is it hard to take off/on? And how much time does it take? Better half of a day??

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It takes a few minutes to get off. You hsve to take off the upper and lower steering column covers the dash bezelwhich has like 8 screws and then you can take it off. There are 4 screws on the bottom of the pad on the passenger side and one in the doorjamb. You will need a 1/4" socket wrench or 7mm You can just lift it out after its unscrewed. When you put it back make sure you put the A/c vent thing thriugh the hole in the top of the dash. You'll have to open the glove box and reach in to connect the hose to it. Also when you put it in its never in as far as you think it is (or it isn't for me) so once its on but not screwed in just give it a good push and it'll go in all the way. Youll need to set the parking brake and put it in 1st if you have an auto because the lever will be in the way of the bezel. I hope this helps.

90K5

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

not much time at all. and it gives you a chance to check out your dash lights, stereo install, air conditioning vents, etc.
    i have some speakers mounted in front of my doors, down by the floor. i also have a tweeter mounted up by the power window switch. doesn't need much power, and it really balances out the bass.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Just an idea I used on my old 77K5 in high school. Door speakers for the radio and center dash speaker for the CB. Worked well.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've actually never tried to take off the cap because I've heard horror stories about it breaking in half, especially if it's already got cracks forming. Are your dash pads old and dried out, and, if so, did they still come out and reinstall ok?

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Mine is not really old and dried out and it has a small crack in it but it is backed by a metal shell so it should be ok. I've take mine off like 10 times in the time I've owned it about a year and a half. The stock speaker size is 3.5

90K5