Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash covers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrapper, Aug 7, 2000.

1. scrapper

scrapper Registered Member

I am wondering if anyone has ever installed a dash cover,instead of replacing the dashboard.I have seen these dash overlays in numerous places for sale as little as $45.00 and most around $100.00.Car parts.com has them for $45.00.I can't seem to find any good used dashboards in the boneyards around me,so I think I'll try a cover.A friend of mine had on Installed on a Porsche 944,that looked great.It was almost impossible to detect that it was installed.He told me that the only problem that he had with it was that it squeeked while driving.Should a person just try the cheeper unit from carparts.com,or go with the name band(coverlay) part from LMC among others?Any ideas?

2. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

line-x it man I was going to use one of thoses dash covers but insted I got my dash and all the trim around it line-xed and man it looks good.

I know this is not what you ask about but it is just a thot my .02

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

3. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

doesnt anyone have one? i want to know how they fit too?!?!?!

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

4. River

River 1/2 ton status

Dear James,

Call me stupid but what is line-x ?

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `89 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 2.73, 10 bolt F, 12 Bolt R

5. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

line-x is spary in bed liner I did the whole inside of my blazer with it and love it.

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

6. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know people's experiences with these covers too. I saw a black one intalled and it was ok but I'd like to know how people feel about them over the long haul. Once you glue one of those things on, there's no headed back.

Thanks,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

7. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

Finally, a question I am able to answer!

I have one. I think it really looks pretty good. The old dash was craked pretty bad: I don't know how you could line-x it back together.

It is important to do it slow, and don't try doing it in the winter, unless you have a heated shop. (As with many things), the quality of the result depends on how much effort you put into it.

It is only using some RTV to hold it on, you can take it off and clean it up and start again if you need to.

It fits best around the instrument panel, where you can loosen the screws and tuck it under.

You need to make some type of wedge or brace to hold it tight while it drys. I still have one loose spot around the defroster vent. Some day I'll squeeze a little more goo in and fix it.

I also painted mine. I originally got brown to match the interior, but decided to repaint the interior. So, I pulled it out, cleaned it up, painted it, and put it back in. It painted up real well.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com