Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash Cutting and Tuffy Console Stereo Mount

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kev71, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

I'm looking to upgrade my blazers audio performance this summer, so i feel i need to lose my standard tape player, which fits the uncut dash and upgrade my speakers. I wanted to just find some good surface mount ones and put them in the kickpanels but i cant find any that fit my needs. Then i saw the "no modificatoin fit" ones in chevy duty, anyone had experience with these? Good quality? In the way of E-brake? Also, i can get a great deal on a pionneer 7400 so my dash is gonna need to be cut, i know its not too difficult but people always seem to mess it up, so if anyone has past experiences/problems/advice to give me, thatd be awesome. Sorry to be so long winded. Also whos got it in their tuffy and how is it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Dash Cutting and Kick Panel Speakers

Dude dont cut the dash! put it in your center console trhats what i did and still have room \to put stuff with the radio and a 12 disc changer. no idea on the kick panels. if your pretty handy check out greg 72's homepage. he did a lot of speaker mods.he built some little kicker boxes that werent in the way.

nathan

3. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

i dunno man, i kinda want it nice up there on the dash, would cutting the dash hurt the value that much??

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

It would depend on if you get rid of the truck and whoever buys it wants everything original. i just prefer to have the original look. and with the rtadio in my console its out of site and mind. which is especially good when im at college. i just put a lock on the console. if you do cut the dash you could chenge it back but it would be a pain in the a$$. just depends on what you want.

nathan

5. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

well my blazer has an original interior, including original console and i dont really like the tuffys, plus theyre too much $$$ in my opinon. And i'm thinkin that this will probally add to the value of it more than take away just cuz most people are gonna prefer a pioneer mp3/cd player in a cut dash as opposed to my crappy tape in the uncut dash. and its detachable face so if im in the "bad part of town" ill detach it and lock it in my glove box.........so i guess the dash willb e cut

6. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

i left the original am/fm chrome radio in the dash to deter would-be theives. and i went the tuffy route and installed a jvc kameleon and a 12 disc cd changer inside the boxed area and i've never had any problem with people messing with my stuff with the top off. and i like looking at the chrome radio. but just my opinion

7. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

AH, i was all ready to cut it but now im thinking to get a tuffy. I'm gonna have to do some mad $$$ saving to get all this done.

8. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I believe you\'ll be happy you did not cut...

There is also a stealth stereo system for old cars like Vettes that is completely concealed up under the dash, probably a little more $$ than a standard setup. I plan to leave the stock AM in my dash, too...

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Re: I believe you\'ll be happy you did not cut...

There are several guys on 67-72chevytrucks.com that have used the recievers that fit in the uncut dash. I don't know how great they sound but you might ask over there too. If you want to cut the dash, it's your dash. Although my dash has been cut but a previous owner, I have a radio delete plate that I'm going to cover the hole with and then put a stereo in a tuffy consol. I have the delete plate, now I just need a stereo and a consol. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

10. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

anyone have any pics of their stereos installed in their consoles?

11. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with Nathan. Don't cut up a great dash. Later on you will be glad you didn't. Glad to see another Georgian on the board. We're pretty close. My wife works right next to Roswell High School. What'd you do about the top on your blazer? Took mine off Sunday and I've been dodging the rains ever since. BTW it is worth it! Big and Topless is the only way to go.

12. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif haha yeh these storms have been coming outta nowhere.....ruining my river trips. But, I'm keeping my top on untill bestop comes out with their supertop. But it should be off by the time school starts up again, then hopefully your wife can spot it in the senior parkin lot. haha. BTW what school do you teach at?

13. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

Got caught today - Twice! I'm looking forward to seeing that new besttop too. Hoping to take the whole thing apart within the next year, so I have plenty of time to wait on the new top. I teach at Cherokee High. I coached Football up until this past season. You guys seem to have a great school. I went to Parkview, and Roswell seems to me to be similar. Enjoy all the times now and don't focus too much on the future. Got any pics of your blazer? When the top comes off that blazer, you'll be amazed how much attention it gets.

14. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

Haha, yeah i was out with my friend in his 85 k5, and he had his top off and we got caught too. But we were about 20 min from home so we just gave up and i layed in the back and enjoyed the shower on the ride home. Yea, Roswell is a good school, Parkview is an awesome school.......at least the football program is which knocked us outta the semi finals. I think ive only been to Cherokee once or twice for a meet. But you do have an awesome pole vaulter with really long hair lol. But i dont remember the school much. And nope i dont have any pics, i need a camera or a scanner first. But ill try and get some and post them as soon as i do.

15. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

See if you can fid a Kenwood KRC-3006. It'll fit the stock holes and can control a CD changer. It's been discontinued for a couple of years, but you might be able to find one used or as old stock. I have heard that Kenwood has refurb units that they sell as service replacements.

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Already have a cut dash, gonna mount stereo there with super epoxy!!!! and then put the CB in the Tuffy! Already sold hardtop, can't wait till Supertop comes out!!! Knowing my luck, they'll want an arm and a leg seeing all this demand!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif We'll see! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i havent been caught yet , but what happens when water gets behind the dash? id be glad to see rain in mine. its HOT!!. heat index of 118 + and an actual of 97. last night at midnight it was still 87 degrees. when it does shower here its for 3 minutes just so you cant breath.

18. sdredneck

sdredneck Registered Member

Dude Check out Chevy Duty. They are a replacement company that has molded kick panels that fit around the pull vents. There is no modifications required. Or so they say. They are kinda pricy but you can get a set with 188.95 a pair with Pioneer speakers already in them. As far as my tuffy box is concerned I love it. It is water proof with the Neoprene seal and theft resistant. Plus it just looks cool. Plus if you can swing it you could put a stock looking head unit in old hole with either a bow tie on it or a cheap stereo. That alone will keep people from breaking in. Atleast I would think so.

19. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

I went ahead and cut my dash and installed a pioneer 7400 mp3 player, it looks great and im not too worried about theft in good ol' wholesome roswell GA. I also went ahead and installed 2 6.5 in blaupunkts in my doors. THe doors were precut so it wasnt very hard. I couldnt be more pleased with my set up now because the mosfet 50wat x4 amp builtin to the cd player makes my 200 watt blaupunkts and my 6x9s sound amazing. Ill take pictures and post them soon.