Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash cutting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, Dec 24, 2003.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

does anyone have a wright up on how to cut a 2nd generation dashs for a head unit, also pic's would be nice.
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hack saw, and/or make a new plate out of something cool to trim around opening with, pretty much have to get creative sometimes depending on what size head unit you are isntalling, hate to cut nice dashes, but well am radios arent that greaT, haha

i dont ever install Cd palyers and jnk into my trucks, i have never cut a dash fto do anything like this, i wont do it unless truck is junk shape beater work horse never to be restored or anything,

you will want ot make a bracket of some kind to hold up back of head unit to keep it from slanting downwards ands to keep it level and straight. could get tricky, not alot of room under there with head unit there but you will need to remove heater controls unit and ashtray and such anyways

good luck

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I don't know about a write up but I've done it. Just measure very carefully and remember that if you cut the hole a little small its ok cause you can always file it out a bit rather than make it too big and you're screwed. I cut mine with a dremel cutting discs. That was a pain because the discs wear down really fast and I had to change them about 5 times. My friend said to get a metal jig saw blade and do it that way. If you're installing new speakers (highly recomended) make sure you're wires don't have any nicks in them and solder all your connections! If you don't want to have to chase down a short; check the system after you install each speaker. I had a short but fortunately I had checked b4 I installed that speaker so I only had to check one wire. Good luck and have fun. Its not that hard, just read the instructions first.

4. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

I've done it. There is a kit you can buy with faceplates to cover the hole's rough edges. I bought a Sony that comes with the bracket to keep the stereo unit level. It works ok.

I don't have pics, but others on this site have them. Check out the member's rides section. I removed the plastic dash cover first. I traced a line on the metal dash where I wanted to cut first. Then I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to make the cut. Be sure to use safety glasses. Then just clean up the cut. Then make a matching cut on the plastic dash cover. Install the head unit, and install the faceplate.

5. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status