Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash Guages

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anjieandjohn, Sep 22, 2005.

1. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Just a question or two about the dash guages....When I start up my truck, the oil pressure guage just starts spinning....after the truck warms up, the oil guage still spins and the temp guage barely moves off of the bottom notch. Meanwhile, the volt guage reads about what I would expect it to read. I have replaced the tstat because I thought that might be the problem but it didnt change the symptoms....I have also looked at replacing the circuit board in the instrument panel as well....any suggestions? I havent replaced the oil pressure sensor yet but figured I would wait becaue the problems all seem related to each other. Also, my gas guage works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt. I havent replaced the sending unit yet again because it seems like all the problems are related. :eek1:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

did you pull the guages out, if you did check the harness going into it. mine was almost unplugged and was acting the same. :D

3. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Like stated disconnected harness or if not I would put my money on the printed circuit. About $90 to replace depending on year.

4. anjieandjohn

Just went and traced out the wires for the problems I am having with the gauges and guess what.....the temp sensor is actually bad and the wire from the oil pressure sensor was broken....fixed and replace both and I am happy now...I know I have good oil pressure and my truck isnt overheating....Thanks for the help.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

err an entire cluster out of car-part.com for $25 to my door.. oh yeah had factory tach too!!!! :haha:

6. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

How difficult a task was replacing the temp sensor? I think mine is bad as the temp guage doesn't do a thing :eek1:. In the 944 it was a PITA to replace, but what wasn't in that car :haha:.

7. RootBreaker

depends on what motor you have...

most 350's are on the side on the head or on the temp sensor neck..... I have one on both... but only using one :haha:

8. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Ah, I have a '91 350. So it is just bolt off bolt on? WTH I love this easy-to-work-on truck!

9. RootBreaker

wait till people tell you that you can get parts from a bubblegum machine... best part is chevy parts are ALOT cheaper than most... I paid $25 for a starter and $25 for an alternator :haha:

10. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Geeez. You know when my father was overseas I helped the step-mom get his 911 into a shop to replace the alternator ('86 911 70k orig. miles) and it ended up being 1k to do....on the 944, luckily the alternator never went out as rebuilt units were at least 180.00. Starters were in that ballpark also....geez 25.00 I can get used to this! Also, with the ~30 dollar plug wire kits from places like summitracing, are these any good??? The wires on the 944 were about 160.00 or so for a decent set if I remember correctly :doah:.

11. anjieandjohn

I have a lowly 305 and the temp sensor is on the driver's side of the block. I know..I know...I need to upgrade..and I am on my way....

12. spirit

spirit Newbie

GMC Jimmy 1978 instrument dash Gauges

:confused: Hi, I am having a bit of trouble finding decent gauges for my truck (complete set, RPM, Odo, Oil, Batt, Temp & fuel) do you know any links that can help? & can I fit any type of gauges and just change the back plastic plate to aluminum?

Thanks

Spirit

13. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Check out lmc parts store?

14. RootBreaker

or if you want oem.... just goto car-part.com and do a search.. I got the factory unit with factory tach for $25 to my door :bow:

15. spirit

spirit Newbie

GMC Jimmy 1978 instrument dash Gauges

Thanks for the info...

16. neubanksc5

neubanksc5 1/2 ton status