Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash light dimmer switch...which wire?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Aug 21, 2003.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Hell O,

I just put in a new temperature gauge, the Auto meter Lunar Series, it looks great and, more important, it works! (If you missed it, I had some bizarre problems with the stock gauge) So, it's all hooked up, except for the lighting of it.

The gauge has leads for the phosphor lighting, I just need to tap into the dimmer switch wire that runs to the dash lights. Does any one know which wire it is? Any one have a schematic of the dimmer switch?

Normally I would pull the instrument cluster out a little and use one of the wires going to one of the dash lights but it is a pain to get at the instrument cluster because the roll bar is directly in front of the screws on the left side of the cover. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Depending on year (not sure which though) the dimmer wire was yellow off the headlight switch.

3. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

I don't think you guys are talking about the same wire. Dorian is correct about the yellow wire. It is the power wire for the headlight high/low beam function. Don't know about this on the models with the foot controlled dimmer switches.
    According to the '76 and '86 wiring diagrams, the dark green wire in the cluster that plugs in to the headlight switch is connected to the rheostat (dimmer)in the switch. It runs to the fuse panel/convience center (in GM speak) and from there is a gray wire to the large plug in the back of the instrument panel and provides power to the dash panel bulbs. If you tap the gray wire you should be fuse protected and if you tap the dark green one, I guess not.

Hope this helps!

Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok sounds like you are correct. I was thinking yellow was the rheostat dimmer, which is what he wants. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif