Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash lights going on and off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DALE, Nov 20, 2000.

1. DALE

DALE Registered Member

two weeks ago i had a pioneer stereo,boston 6.5's put in the doors and eclipse 4x10's in the rear and a orion cs 500.5 under the pass seat. i had this done professionally at a great radio shop.anyway after the work was done my dash lights would go on then somtimes go off or just the gas gage light would go on and offand same with the cigg light and speedo light and where the shift indicater is.i brought it back twice and they still did not fix it .the lights still go on and off randomly.iam going to go back for the third time.what should i do. can anybody help me as i am starting to get pissed off.

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Inspect the printed circuit looking sheet on the back of the cluster. I had a open in one of mine, everytime I hit a bump it flickered. Also If your radio has a illum wire ( so its the same intensity as the dash) check that. Will the inst lights come back on if you jiggle the light switch?
    Luke

3. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

Mine go on and off. Usually just takes a few 'taps' on the dash to get 'em right, or jigglin' the switch like Cavalry said.

<font color=red>Call my rig an SUV... And I'll tear your lungs out.</font color=red>

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Do these light problems happen while your driving? It sounds like theres a loose or frayed connection somewhere</font color=blue>

5. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

definitely sonds like a loose wire somewhere / bad ground / malfunctioning fuse. First replace the fuse. Whenever you install a sound system in a vehicle there is always tons of dash wiring that gets stretched, moved, pulled on. Those guys at the radio shop definitely frigged something up. I would find the fuse to the dash lights and follow the wires up to the instruments. A multimeter would be very helpful.

6. DALE

DALE Registered Member

the lights stay on sometimes and sometimes the fuel gage light will go out and the ash tray light, but not the speedo light.the temp,oil pressure. volt gage work fine.

7. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I would look for a bad ground. Does everything else in the dash work ok?