Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash lights....need help ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Nov 16, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

WTF does this wire go too?

I removed the gauges and this wire was just hanging loose. It connects at the gauges in a white connector?

Please help...my dash is apart!!!

I know the pic sucks, but its a black wire with gold crimp conn at each end...looks like a ground or something to me..I dunno
    [​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's not a ground wire, that's an optical fibre that goes to the side of the ashtray so you can find it in the dark. The end of the optical fibre provides a dim glow...

If you look around some you'll probably find a rather long post on dim dash lights, should have a ton of good info for you there.

Rene

3. 88jimmy4x4

Thanks, I see where it plugs in now.....thanks for the quick reply.

BTW.....I read the dash light thread...thats why I had the dash out to fix the dim lights /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I took my dash apart, but I cant figure out how to get the speedo out... The guages are stuck in the dash because I cant seem to figure out how to get at it. GRRRRR

5. tRustyK5

On the back side of the cluster you'll be able to feel where the cable comes into the back of the speedo. On the underside of the cable there is a springy type of clip that acts like a barb to hold the cable in. Push it towards the cluster while tugging on the cable.

Install, just push the cable in while wiggling a little. The spring thing will lock in automatically.

Once you have it off and out it'll make a whole bunch more sense /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

6. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, so I took my dash apart, but I cant figure out how to get the speedo out... The guages are stuck in the dash because I cant seem to figure out how to get at it. GRRRRR

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I went thru the same thing....like trusty said, theres a spring clip holding the speedo cable in, push it down while pulling the cable out.

This was definately a bloody knuckle job, I sliced my finger, scraped skin off forearm getting to stereo antennae and ripped skin off my knuckles /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

However, my dash lights are bright as hell now...I love it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    This was definately a bloody knuckle job, I sliced my finger, scraped skin off forearm getting to stereo antennae and ripped skin off my knuckles

However, my dash lights are bright as hell now...I love it

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

After you've had the dash apart 8 or 10 times it's a lot easier and less bloody...

Rene

8. 88jimmy4x4

BTW....I plugged in that little optical fiber wire into the ashtray.....just lemme say this, I have seen fireflys butts light up brighter /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. tRustyK5

Yup, dimmer than a blonde news anchor...yet it's just bright enough that you can find the ashtray in the dark. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene