Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash Lights no worky!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shadow6000, Jan 13, 2007.

1. shadow6000

shadow6000 1/2 ton status

Drove my 85 K5 over to a friends house the other night to change out a sticking hub. Got that done and went to leave and when I turned the headlights on the gauge lights weren't working with the exception of the high beam indicator. They had worked on the drive over there. We've checked the fuse and replaced the headlight switch but they still don't work. Any ideas?:dunno:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

ground!..

Check under the dash near the E-brake pedal,and near the steering colum ,look for a black wire that is dissconnected or loose,that either bolts to the body near the E-brake pedal,or clips onto a "bus bar" connector to ground near the steering colum--if those black wires get no ground,you get no dash lights!..the high beam indicator is grounded by the dimmer switch too,so that might be why that light still works...:crazy:

3. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

As stoopid as this will sound. When I drove my truck up north, I had a few dash lights not work. i was pissed and smacked the dash on the top and walla. the lights came on, never had a problem since.

4. shadow6000

shadow6000 1/2 ton status

Don't sound stupid to me. I've used that method more than once with varying degrees of success. :D Unfortunately, I tried this method when they first failed and it didn't change anything.

A few minutes ago, I went out and checked on Diesel4me's suggestion and started wiggling the parking brake assembly around(it's been loose since I bought it). I got the lights to come on one time so I'm sure there's a loose ground under there somewhere. Now I've just got to find time to find it and fix it properly.

Thanks Diesel!