Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash lights out, but no fuses blown?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tch777, Dec 7, 2005.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Help guys I can't figure this one out.
    I noticed last week the dash light over the speedo went out.
    Then this week all the dash lights went dead, and the running lights / parking lights front and rear are dead too. Plus the radio is freaking out flickering on and off unless you turn the headlights on then it is completely dead.
    Also now when you turn on the head lights they are much brighter than ever before. And the coutesy light under the dash kind of by the ashtray turns on when you turn the headlights on, but is off if you turn the inside lights on.

So far I have replaced the headlight switch, and the bulbs in the tail lights eventhough none were burnt out. And no fuses are blown??
    I searched the archives but could not find any solutions. Some other people had similar issues but they never posted back what fixed them.
    The dimmer switch on the steering column was replaced last year too.

Update now I pulled the radio fuse and after I turn the key off it is still flickering. Must be a short somewhere, but where should I begin to look? I don't get how the lights are connected to the stereo???? By the way I have a Kenwood stereo installed it has been in there for 2 years now with no issues prior to this.

This is on the 91 suburban. BTW.

Thanks

Tim

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You probably have a dual element bulb that has one side blown and when it blew it shorted to the other element. Go hit your bake pedal and see if any lights other than the brakelights light up. Sometimes the light-on chime will go on at the same time if the door is open with this problem. Sometimes the dash lights will come on also.
    You could have a bad ground somewhere, causing a ground feedback loop.
    Many radios have a built in dimmer control that is tied to the headlight circuit that dims the radio when the lights go on for night driving.
    You could have a single element bulb in a dual element socket.
    The head light switch wiring may be shorting to ground.
    I know the radio has been in for a while, but disconnect it any way.
    The PCB for the dashlights bay have gone bad also.
    Just start unplugging things untill the problem goes away, or chase the power and ground wires untill you find the problem.

3. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Where is a common location for the ground wires in my Suburban.
    The only ones I have found are the battery ground and the headlight grounds.

Tim