Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash Lights Out HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, Sep 7, 2006.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I installed a new stereo last weekend. I was driving home last night and realized I don't have dash lights. When I extracted the old stereo I had one set of wire left over from the truck, was that the dash light dimmer to the old stereo? Do I need to put a jumper between those two wires to complete the circuit to get my dash lights back? any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

that sounds like the dimmer (yellow i think)you shouldnt need to jump it, if its just hanging it will blown the fuse if the end hits metal

colby

3. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

its two wires....browish/yellow and black. They are in a plug so no short issue. Oh...I bet i just need to ground that black one you think? by the way 1991 v10

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Yellow isn't the dimmer! Yellow is 12V constant power (unswitched, to keep your clock and presets memory info), and that one should be live 12V all the time. Orange with a white stripe is the dimmer/illumination.

Most aftermarket stereos don't need it to illuminate the display, but just use the appearance of power in that orange/white stripe wire to signal the head unit that the headlights have been turned on, so the display ought to dim itself.

Wiring diagrams can be found here:

http://brochures.slosh.com/wiring/

5. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Well i think it may be orange with a white stripe, but looks a little more tan than orange. anyhow its matted with another wire and they both go into a plug that plugged into the existing stereo harness. When I put a meter on them they didn't do anything. At the time I wasn't thinking about lights so I'm sure if I'd turned on my lights it would have been hot. So if this is right, why arn't my dash lights working? :confused: Would it be a ground that when to the stereo and now its not hooked up?

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I know that on my '85 (your 91 wiring might be a little more involved in some areas), there ia a 5A fuse (labeled "INST LPS") in the mainfuse panel, for the instrument panel lamps and also the 4WD indicator. This fuse also protects the light that tells you your rear defogger is on (if you have one, which I do not).

7. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

ok...thanks i'll check that out and see if its blown

8. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

The same kind of thing happened to my 91 about 2 months ago. It turned out that I thought there were two black wires from the original harness so I connected both of them to the ground on the new radio. It ruined the radio and upon further investigation, one was brown and one was black. The brown wire was for the dimmer, and black was ground of course. Like it was mentioned above, newer radios don't need the dimmer wire, so tape it off good with electrical tape. Hope this helps.

9. TheSunDanceKid

TheSunDanceKid Registered Member

yea lol i install stereos for a living and yes it definatly hooked to your dimmer and it probably poped the fuse for your lights hook the 12v to the right wire cap the dimmer off because if it is left bare and hits ground it will probably take your lights out again change the fuse after you have changed the wire
    also for 91 chevy pickups that actually have a dimmer

Constant 12V+Orange
    Switched 12V+Yellow
    Ground Black
    Illumination Gray
    Dimmer Brown
    Antenna
    -----------Right Front
    Front Speakers 3 1/2"
    Dash Left Front (+)Tan
    Left Front (-) Gray
    Right Front (+) Light Green