Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash Lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cornfed-90K5, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

I need to change my dash lights, I have two out now. The manual says to just reach up behind the dash and pull them (what a joke that is). Anyway, my question is, I went down to the local auto parts store and their book shows 2 different part no.'s for the sylvainia bulbs. They both look the same, is one brighter than the other. I would prefer this, since the factory ones weren't very bright. Both are offered in the long-life versions which I will opt for since I don't want to have to pull my dash apart again anytime soon. If you have any suggestions or part no.'s you would recommend please let me know.

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    TBI 350, 4L60-E, NV241,
    6" lift, 35" Pro Comp M/T,
    4.56's and Auburns front and rear

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have had my dash apart a lot, are you going to change all the bulbs? Once you replace one, another one will go out.(Murphy's)

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is simply remove the plastic lens and pull the bulbs out of their sockets. You can remove the cluster to do this but I would only do it to tighten the bulb holders and other connections. The bulbs are behind the gauges. Some you can get to by hand while others you may have to pull the gauges out. They're only held by a couple of screws and they just pull right out. The other bulbs are for the indicator lights like "Four Wheel Drive" and such. Personally I would just have all the bright ones. The tiny one is only 1candle power and the brighter is 3. Outside of that they're practically identical. If you look in the owners manual you can see a list of what bulbs go to what.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!