Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash Lights?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGJ, Apr 27, 2000.

1. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Some of the lights inside my dash are going out. Most of them work when I turn the lights on , it's just a few that don't. I just spent most of my afternoon tearing apart the dash to check them. When I move or touch the bulb that's out it comes back on but dosen't stay on. Is this a common problem? What is the "trick" to making them dependable other than replacing the light socket? What do I have to do to these dang things to get em to stay ON!? Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.

BIGJ

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem . It was in the sockets , over time they become loose and the bulb looses contact . i replaced my sockets .

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

On each side of the bulb is a bent wire. After sitting in the socket these wires comform to the bulb. On mine I just pulled the wire away from the bulb a bit and reinserted the bulb back into the socket. This allows for a tighter fit and better connection.
    I use something in the telephone industry that has become invaluable to me when working on the Blazer. The product is called Neolube, colliodial graphite suspended in isopropanol.
    When I worked as a Nuclear Engineer we used the Neolube on the stainless steel fittings on the reactors on subs and aircraft carriers to keep the fittings from galling. In addition to its antiseize qualities it is also is a good conductor. On any type of connector I coat each piece, then when the alcohol dissapates, I put them together, fuse holders, connectors on the door locks and the power windows, ect. Now this stuff is not soluable in water, it takes alcohol to remove it, which makes it great for the K5. I have used it in the rear window switch for the contacts as it will keep the carbon deposits from starting. Almost any electrical connection and anyplace you would want a greaseless lubricant is where it can be used.
    Anyone interested just ask....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Eagle,

Why don't you bring me some of that good stuff when you come get the seats.
    Boss

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Not a problem my friend...will do.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]