Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dash Lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by behemoth, May 25, 2000.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

The dash lights seem to be getting dimmer and dimmer. I can hardly see any qauges at night. Do I need to replace the entire instrument cluster, or are there individual bulbs in there that I can get to? Oh yeah, it's a '78 K5.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

your head light switch should turn to dimm or brighten your dash lights. That switch could be it!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Sometimes corrosion gets to the connections to the bulbs as well, although it is a bit of a job, you have to remove the dash bezel and the plastic clear cover underneath, remove a bulb at a time and emery the wires on each side of the bulbs and reinsert....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Mine was doing the same thing. I put new bulbs and that brightened it up but two of the sockets don't work[​IMG], I guess I can just replace those[​IMG].

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

In addition to Eagle's post, you "can" reach behind up through all the wires and mess and twist the little holders out. They turn about a quarter turn and pop out. The bulbs just push in-pull out. A lot of times a few burn out and a few get dusty, and the wires corrode etc. You have to be a contortionist, but you should be able to reach most of 'em from behind. It may be easier (if your back is like mine) to do what Eagle suggested and pull the bezel....at least you can do that while sittin' down.....with a beer close by!! You can get new bulbs at any parts store.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

6. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Yeh yeh, I know 'bout the switch. (oh - you can dim them by turning that??) :-)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I kinda like the "sittin' down with a beer close by" method. I might as well take the whole thing apart since I really need to mess with the speedometer as well. As soon as I accelerate, the needle starts jumpin' all over the place. It'll calm down once I get to speed - mostly on the highway. In-town driving really sucks cause I can't tell from the speedometer how fast I'm going. It's a guessing game from there! I'll have to check the cable connection, etc. etc.

7. 87JIMMY

87JIMMY Registered Member

My speedo does the same thing in the winter when it's real cold. If you you figure it out, post your solution. Thanks

Scott 87JIMMY

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

It is called...grease the speedo cable, white lithium grease seems to work best as I recall. Pull the cable off the speedo and pull it out, drench it in the grease, then push it back in all the long adding grease, if it hangs up, twist it a bit. This makes for a fun job especially if the girlfriend and or wife helps, you get the cable fixed and both end up greased.....hehehehehehehe

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Also there is a brighter replacementbulb available. 2 different part#'s , ask the dealer.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i can barely read my odometer at night. is there a bulb there that's burnt? or does everyone's suck?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

11. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Great! I appreciate the tips! What better way to spend a long weekend than messin' around with the truck - unless I get distracted with that grease thing .... hehehehehehe.

12. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Delta - judging from what was said above, it sounds like bulbs. I'm gonna mess with it this weekend and I'll post my results.

13. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with the lights. I just replaced all mine. If I remember correctly, the bulbs are supposed to be 164s, but 194s are the same thing, or something like that. I ended up using the 194s cause we had a bunch of them in the shop already. It definately made a difference.

As for the speedo cable....sometimes they get kinked or bent, and that will also make the needle jump. Someone makes a tool so you can shoot the grease right into the cable...like a zerk fitting.

14. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

My speedo does the same thing, but never settels down,,, it's always jumping around.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

15. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

replace the speedo cable

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>