Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash pad querey

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4wood, Jan 2, 2004.

1. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

I pulled the dash pad out of my 1987 K5 to replace the front factory speakers the other day and now I am having a world of trouble getting the dash pad back on. Anyone have any advice on how to accomplish this?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

make sure you line up all the clips that slide into place, and that none have pulled off the pad and are stuck in place.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

have to coax it back into place, its kinda tricky

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

my clips bent a little so I had to make sure they were reformed correctly... I ended up using some trim screws to hold it down flat.... they were the chevy ones with washers on them... it came out sano as I measured of the windshield and put them on four places on the top of the dash... its rock solid and without any squeaks now...
    cam

5. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

what exactly do you mean by clips?

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

if you have the pad off and look at the underside of it you will see that there are spring clips that are molded into the urethane and fit into the sheet metal of the dash pad... these fit into corresponding shots in the metal part of the dash of your truck... sometimes a clip can move and then you cant get the dash back down flat... line the clips up with the dash holes ...put the dash on and then slide it forward slightly until the clips engage fully into their metal slots.... as I said earlier sometimes the clips get bent so they need to be flttened so that they put enough downward force on the dash when its fully in place... I also used some trim screws which really made it solid and squeak free.... if you follow my suggestion on screws as well make sure you are drilling through the pad into an area with sheet matal behind it... there are alot of open spaces below the pad underneath the pad... speaker area etc...
    good luck
    cam