Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash pocket?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by creampuff90k5, Mar 6, 2002.

1. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

I am going to be moving my head unit into a tuffy center console real soon, which will obviously leave a hole in the dash. Rather than just blocking off the old space, what I would like to do is install one of those plastic pockets where you can keep change, receipts, keys, etc...

I have seen these before in the dashboards of pickup trucks, particularly the GM "work" trucks. Any idea if there is such an animal for K5's?? If not, what have others done with this leftover space?

2. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I've seen a Galant where the owner mounted two 2.5" LCD screens in a space pocket. Be nifty to install a small screen like that there and hook it to a backup cam or something.

3. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Well, the whole idea of the tuffy is theft prevention... I don't think a TV screen in the dash would help much!
    I have seen some neat monitors set up in the glove compartment though.

4. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I mounted my head unit/tuner in the Tuffy console and then used an alluminum cover plate over the old hole. I then mounted indicator lamps and switches for all my auxilliary lighting. Turned out looking pretty good. Also possible to use the space for additional gauges or warning lights.

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you already had the dash cut for the newer style radio but, I kept my stock radio in its place and then put in the Tuffy console with a new head unit. That way, passerbys think I still have my old stock radio.

Maybe go to a junk yard and graft in the stock radio so it looks like you're still using it. With a plate blocking off the orginal location, a thief will then direct their attention to that big center console.

My 2 cents.

6. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

True, true /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Hehe.