Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash removal...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jun 17, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am getting my rig ready for cage fabrication and one thing I was working on today was the dash. I'm gonna go full tube / custom with the dash (bgreen/freak inspired!) but I need to get all the factory junk out of the way first.

The formed sheetmetal thing that is the structure behind a stock dash is held on by 2 bolts on each side... and one screw in the middle. I took all those out... and the bottom is all floppy and ready to come off, but the top seems to be wedged up in the windshield gasket or something. I tried removing the vent from in front of the windshield to see if there were some bolts of something coming from the other side... no dice.

How do I get this thing out? Is it built into the windshield frame? and if so, is there any reason why I can't cut it off and just leave the part that goes into the windshield molding? :thinking: :confused: anyone who has "gone truggy" has probably run into this... just wondering what you guys have done.

j

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you had the windshield out you'd see there is a row of spot welds holding it along the bottom of the windshield frame. I'd cut it 1/2" to 3/4" away from the edge and call it good.

Rene

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok cool... I thought it might be something like that. Not sure why GM engineer guy thought the dash should be tied into the windshield frame itself.. under a gasket... but hey, whatever! Thanks for the scoop buddy, I appreciate it, :thumb:

j

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's what we do with all of our derby trucks, then just beat them down flat to the cowl. lets you tuck the dash bar right up to it.