Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dash replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chrisb420, Feb 1, 2006.

1. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

the previous owner hacked the dash to replace the radio, he cut it so bad that the bezel dosent even cover the holes so i was looking into replacing the metal portion of the dash. i have a parts truck but after taking everything off i noticed that the vin plate is still attactched to this part of dash, so what should i do cut around the vin and weld the new one in place anybody replaced this before?:confused:

2. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

anybody?

3. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I cut mine out and replqced it.Looks a little different now though. Seriously though. replacing the metal structure is probably not necessary. Post some pics of the damage for better recommendations.

DSC00604.JPG

4. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i wont be able to get any pics until the weekend but it is butchered looks like a ten year old went crazy with tin snips.

by the nice seats there the same ones i have, but your dash is incredible

5. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

get some pics with and w/out the bezel. I have seen some bad ones, so should be able to give you a good idea.

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If you have to cut the vin section out, you will need to look up the rules on how to re-attch it leagally. There's a couple of places to find the special star rivets, but in most states, it's illegal to attach a VIN plate yourself. Here in MI, if you need to replace that section (mines a '73 VIN plate is on the front of the rear quarter in the door jamb, I replaced the whole body), I need to fill out a form, and officer has come and inspect to ensure road worthyness then he signs the form, then take my signed form back to the DMV, then an officer again comes out to re-attach the vin plate for you.
    You could probably buy the special rivets and just do it yourself if your just replaced the metal dash. I wanted to do it right just in case, god forbid, it gets wrecked or stolen, the insurance company can't balk at anything because I did it all legally. Your state may vary!

7. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Check with the State Troopers or motor vehicle department before messing with VIN plates. It has been a long time since I have been back there, but the Troopers and local police used to set up road blocks and conduct vehicle inspections.

Do you have to pass annual inspections? Changing VIN plates to the new dash may be illegal (serious fines) without proper documentation or cause a vehicle inspection failure. NY is heavily regulated in a lot of areas. I haven't been there in years so things may have changed.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

wow when i did my dash i just bolted the vin plate down. when i wen through vin verification when i first got the truck it was only held on by 1 standard rivet and the guy didnt say a word:confused: then when i had the new dash in and it bolted down, i was pulled over. the cop checked my reg, vin plate that kinda stuf and didnt say a word. not sure why, i guess they didnt notice. not sure how they couldnt though:D

9. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i was thinking about leaving my vin in place and welding in the new dash around my vin. all of the welds would be covered by the dash pad so i dont think dmv or police would ever question it. i was just wondering if anyone had ever done this before and how they did it