Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Daughters first time with a shotgun..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gokartergo, Dec 12, 2005.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

She said she wanted to go Pheasant hunting with me.. I made her take a hunter saftey coarse and she passed. Then I had to buy her a left handed shotgun.. I bought her a remington 870 pump 12 gauge. left handed version.. We picked it up yesterday after the 10 day waiting period. She got one clay pigion.. Not to bad for never shooting anything over a 22..Has you can tell.. I am a proud dad right now.. She is only 14..

[​IMG]

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is nothing like hunting with you kid. Good luck.

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Glad to see I'm not the only person who shoots rifles and scatterguns left-handed, but I usually do it while using right-handed weapons. What's the big deal with needing a dedicated left-handed version of your weapon?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very cool :) both my boys 10 and 11 are going to do the hunters safety course next month :)

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I first started shooting I did so left handed. The problem with right handed guns is that usually the safety on a shotgun is backwards for a lefty shooting a right handed gun (you have to reach down and around the other side of the trigger and push) and depending on how the shell flies and how your shooting stance is, it's fairly common to take an empty hull in the face. At the very least it's incredibly distracting and pretty hard to hit a double when there's a big red shell in your immediate field of vision...and they can land on an unprotected forearm.

Congrats man, I'm really glad my dad introduced me to hunting. Nice choice on the 870, my first gun was a 20 gauge 870. My second was a 12 gauge 3 1/2" 870. That was five years ago and it's still my main gun.

6. gokartergo

Also you can get powder burns shooting a right handed guns.. Powder burns in the face are not fun. I shot her gun right handed and got some...LOL

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

very cool. Did she have a good time? Did she learn how to clean the shotgun also?

8. gokartergo

She loved it. She is a little sore today. She didn't learn to clean it yet because I bought her the remington wood box cleaning kit. And her god father bought her the foam cleaning rod for xmas.. I cleaned it after she went to bed.. She'll learn after xmas..LOL

9. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

good choice in weaponry, that's what i use (except right handed) and it's also my first/only shotgun. i remember when i first went and shot clay pigeons, i sucked for a good 2 years, we could go into the field and recover half the clays we launched cuz i couldnt hit em and the grass was soft enough not to break 'em, got it down to an art now though :D . shoulder still gets sore for a day or so afterwards.. congrats man!

Inu-Hanyou, do you call shotguns "scatterguns"?? ive never heard that except in movies and books..

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Too bad she's not older, we might have had a date for someone around here... :whistle:

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

I know handguns now are probably a little hard to come by in California, but what you need to do now is start her off shooting pistols. You could do what my dad did on our last shooting outing once she's comfortable with pistols: start rolling the clay targets out in front of her so she can shoot at them with a pistol. I think she'll love it, it got addicting for me!

12. Inu-Hanyou1776

XHitman, my dad uses scattergun and shotgun interchangeably, while I and maybe my brother have started to coin another term for them: flak-gun, after a weapon called the Flak Cannon in Unreal.

The Unreal Flak Cannon is HUGE shotgun that takes huge 5" diameter hemispherical shells that allows you not only shoot it shotgun style, but you can also lob the shells from it like grenades, and the shells explode into shrapnel. In either case, it's easy to literally rip somebody to pieces and leave them a gibbed mess with this weapon. So brother and I see the normal, real-life shotguns as being baby versions of this weapon, hence the name flakgun.

NOTE: The Flak Cannon exists only on the FPS computer game Unreal, and does not actually exist.