Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Day Fire Link

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by ntsqd, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

2. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

yeah it's been really smoky here in the valley the last few nights. And I was in Simi last night and it was terrible. made for an incredible sunset though.

I'm guessing so much for the CORVA thing next week

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Hold on, let me contact my CORVA connection.

Latest info on that site is that it's heading west towards Filmore & Santa Paula. I'm also getting reports of Hwy 33 being closed and Wheelers Gorge being evac'd.

4. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Their is a lot of pressure on this website server now, so it may not open for you.

I'm watching the Ojai cable channel now. The residents of Goodenough Rd. in Fillmore are being told to evacuate. I know that road, it travels north towards the Sespe.

So the fire is burning south towards Fillmore and Santa Paula... and west towards Ojai, AND north in the Los Padres towards Lockwood Valley. Ugly.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I just checked that site. It was slow, but it's been that way all day. Latest map shows it's jumped the Sespe.
    Cam told me at about noon today that 33 was closed.

FS Closure Notice copied off that site:

"Pursuant to 36CFR 261.50(a) and (b), and to protect public safety, the following acts are prohibited within the Los Padres National Forest and Angeles National Forest. This order is in effect from September 16, 2006 until the Day Fire is fully controlled.

1. Going into or being upon National Forest System lands within the Day Fire Closure Area. The Day Fire Closure Area begins in Township 7 North, Range 18 West, where National Forest System lands meet Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area (SVRA) in section 9, then along the boundary between the National Forest System lands and Hungry Valley SVRA to Forest Road No. 8N01 (Gold Hill Road), then one quarter of a mile north and west of and parallel to Gold Hill Road to Forest Trail No.19W17 (Gold Hill OHV Trail 124), then south of and including Gold Hill OHV Trail to where it meets Forest Trail No.19W03 (Long Dave OHV Trail 122), then west of and including Long Dave OHV Trail to where it meets Forest Trail No. 20W25 (Whata OHV Trail 131), then west of and including Whata OHV Trail to Forest Road No. 8N42 (West Frazier Tie OHV Trail 119), then southwest of and including West Frazier Tie OHV Trail to Forest Road No. 8N41 (West Frazier Mine OHV Trail 118), then southwest of and including West Frazier Mine OHV Trail to Forest Road No. 9N03 (Lockwood Valley Road), then southeast of Lockwood Valley Road to Lockwood Creek located just west of Forest Road No. 7N03 (Grade Valley Road), then east of Lockwood Creek over the top of San Guillermo Mountain, then south and west of the top of San Guillermo to where Forest Trail No. 22W03 (Piedra Blanca Trail) intersects with Forest Trail No. 22W10 (Cedar Creek Trail) in Township 6 North, Range 22 West, section 14, then east of and including Piedra Blanca Trail to Forest Trail No. 22W04 (Middle Sespe Trail), then south of and including Middle Sespe Trail to State Highway 33, then east of State Highway 33 to Forest Road No. 6N31 (Rose Valley Road), then south of and including Rose Valley Road to Forest Trail No. 22W26 (Howard Creek Trail), then east of Howard Creek Trail to Forest Road No. 5N08 (Nordhoff Ridge Road), then north of Nordhoff Ridge Road to Forest Road No. 4N15 (Sisar Canyon Road), then east of Sisar Canyon Road to the Los Padres National Forest boundary, then east along the Forest Boundary to where it meets Interstate Highway 5, then north along Interstate 5 to where Hungry Valley SVRA meets Highway 5 in section 9, then west to the starting point, as shown on the attached Day Fire Closure Area Map. 36 CFR 261.53(e)."

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Map of the Closure area. The above description has been significantly expanded. It now extends clear to Santa Barbara.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

It will be interesting to see the aftermath on Miller Jeep.:(

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Latest:
    "GOLETA, CA…Out of concern for public safety during the current wildfire emergency, the Forest Service has closed a large area of Los Padres National Forest in Ventura County, Kern County and eastern Santa Barbara County. The closure also includes the Angeles National Forest west of Interstate 5 in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties.

The closure prohibits public entry to forest lands, trails, roads and recreation sites. The closure does not apply to private land. Residents within the fire closure are allowed to gain access to their residences as necessary.

The expanded closure encompasses all Los Padres National Forest lands within Ventura County and Kern County. In addition, those national forest lands in southern Santa Barbara County northeast from East Camino Cielo and Cold Springs Trail are also closed to public entry."

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Posted this to the CORVA Jambo thread too:

I'm now hearing that Calif. City and Mojave are getting all of the smoke & ash. That means the wind is blowing towards the HV-OHV area. This is both good news and bad news. The good is that it's blowing into the area where most of the fuel has already been consumed. The bad is that it's in the direction of the park, and that hasn't yet been burned so there's fuel there.

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Link has had major impact on the server from the looks of it. Wasn't able to get on at all last night.
    Summary from yesterday:

"The fire escaped containment lines late yesterday afternoon on the northwest perimeter, crossing Piru Creek and moving north up Sheep Canyon toward the community of Lockwood Valley. It was attacked aggressively with aircraft and handcrews. At 7:00 p.m. the fire crested Lockwood Peak approximately 1.5 miles south of the community. Firefighters positioned themselves along an existing dozer contingency line south of Lockwood Valley Road and began firing out toward the advancing wildfire. Forty-five fire engines were moved into place to protect structures in Lockwood Valley.

There was very little movement yesterday on the west/southwest side of the fire. Helicopters continued to work along Topatopa Bluff, and there was very little fire activity showing in the area by early evening. Firefighters are working to contain a 7-acre slop-over in the Santa Paula Creek area.

The Day Fire has now burned 139,720 acres and is 41 percent contained. Approximately 61 miles of fire line remain to be built. There is no projected date of containment. There are 3,525 firefighters and support personnel assigned to the incident. There were 27 helicopters and 7 airtankers operating today.

The Ventura County Sheriff currently has a recommended evacuation notice in place for:

•Lockwood Valley

•Camp Scheideck, and for

•the area along and east of Highway 150 from Santa Paula City Limits north to Ventura County Fire Station #20.

Preliminary evacuation notices are in place for:

•Lake of the Woods

•Pinyon Pines

•Highway 33 is closed north from Fairfield to Lockwood valley Road.

•Highway 33 remains closed from Wheeler Gorge to Ozena.

•Lockwood Valley Road is closed from Highway 33 to Lake of the Woods

•Pyramid Lake and the Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area are closed.
    "

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Looking at the USFS map of Mt. Pinos (E & W), with the Day fire jumping Piru Creek and climbing Lockwood Peak pretty much guarantees Miller Jeep is toast. I haven't heard today's update as of 2:30.
    We probably won't be allowed back into Lockwood/Miller until April at the earliest. :doah:

13. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I have been driving by there every weekend and it doesn't look like Alamo mountain has burned yet. Looks like its a ways before it burns. Just my observation from Smokey BEar RD. Not 100% sure.

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Last time I was able to get the page to load the latest map looked like the south flank of Alamo has burned and possibly the campground on top. From that general area the fire line trended generally due west and then curled north into the road into Mutau Flat area. Neither the Lockwood trail or Miller K5 trail looked to have been effected so far. Though that doesn't mean that once the fire's out that the trail will be open.

15. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If your lucky. I'm from colorado and their Hayman burn area, which had some great wheeling, still isnt reopened. That fire was 4 years ago

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Rain today. :waytogo: :waytogo:
    Talked to the local club's FS POC guy today. He was told by his FS contact that Lookwood has NOT burned, but that most all of Alamo Mtn (meaning Miller K5 Trail) has burned. Word is that it burned right down to Piru Creek at the Gold Hill Rd crossing.

Heard an interesting rumor, and that was that we have a contingent from NYC Fire out here working on this fire. No idea on how to confirm or deny this.

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

After a couple weeks, maybe we could look into hiring a plane/pilot for ~3 hrs. and flyover, take a look.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Dan was saying that they may need some help in getting things ready for the winter. He's going to give the FS guy a few days and then call about it. Not sure if I'll be permited to post it, but will if I can.

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

20. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

yeah count me in if there's a work party up there.