Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Day star 1.5" lift shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Chevy, Dec 18, 2005.

1. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

I was thinging about running the 1.5" lift shackles for alittle bit more clearane and to get the springs away from the frame and was wondering if anyone else was running these and if you are running them what degree shim are you running to correct the caster and pinion angle from the longer shackles. Thanks alot in advance for any help any one can offer.

2. 1987Chevy

anyone?

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Uhh ... in front, or in back? If in back, you should already have a shackle flip, or it'll be LOWERING the rear ... be helpful to know more about your particular truck and what you've changed already.

-- A

4. 1987Chevy

I have 4" springs all the way around and I have a zero rate up front. I was going to put the 1.5" lift shackles up front then the 2.5" shackle flip in the rear so I could have 6.5" of lift all the way around.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

If it were me, I'd install the shackles, take it to an alignment shop, and see what they tell you about your caster angle. The machine will tell you what it is and the books will tell you what it should be, and you can decide on shimming and such from there.

I gotta do this with my truck ... mind you, I installed 52"'s up front with special Emu-Bilt (i.e. home made :D ) shackles and mounts, so my method of getting there is very different from yours.

Oh yeah, and the front shackles are just 3/8" x 1.5" (or 1.75"? I used 2", as it's what I had) flat stock. If you have a drill press or a big drill, you can make your own easier and cheaper than buying.

-- A

frontshackles.jpg

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Definatly make your own. I did it in an afternoon.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you have stock length springs in the front my suggestion would be to skip the shackles. Keep in mind that 1.5" lift shackles will be about 3" longer than the stock shackles (this is substantially longer than stock).

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

With those shackles the pinion angle will suffer and also the shackle angle. I personally wouldn't try to get any lift from shackles on the front. You'd prob do better to relocate the shackle hanger/bushing in addition to the longer shackles but I doubt you'd get 1.5" of lift from it. I put some 1/2 longer than stock shackles and the angle and pinion angle suxed. Put some 6 degree shims in, helped a little but I still only get about 1 good wheeling trip out of my front driveshaft before I blow the cv apart. This was all with a 6" lift.

9. 1987Chevy

Thanks for eveyones advice I think ill just make some 1/2" longer ones like ORD sells to get the spring away from the frame alittle. I guess I'll just have to do a little more trimming when I eventually get some bigger tires.

10. 1987Chevy

I don't really know much about metal and stuff. I could easily get some 1018 Cold roll or A36 hot roll, what strength wise would be better or should try to find something else to make them out of.

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine are made out of 3/8 x 2" cold roll. Straight form the drop steel bin.

Cost was $0.00

12. 1987Chevy

Thats the best kind of cost there is:D.