Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Daystar front shackles (did search) how much lift for 88

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Dec 5, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I need/want to replace my front spring shackles and also gain some lift in the process. I ordered and have the ORD shackles but they are the exact same length (cen-cen) as my stock shackles. Daystars website claims 1-1/2" of lift but I need to know for sure that I will indeed gain this.
    Does anyone know or could measure the center to center of the bolt holes on the daystar shackles?
    Also, I have the greasable bolts/bushings from the ORD kit so all I need is the nongreasable daystar shackle. Will I have to drill the holes out to accept the 1/2" greasable bolts?
    These are the ones Im looking at:
    Daystar non-greaseable super shackles part #KG60001
    [​IMG]

(I searched and found a little info on the daystar shackles but most replies were about homemade shackles.)

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't know the lift part but I do know that you will have to shim the rear to get a proper driveline angle or it will throw off castor. there is a Product Review of Hill4WD shackles on the main page of CK5. They say 1" of lift. http://www.coloradok5.com/hill4wheeldrivereview.shtml you would have to shim even more with a longer yet shackle.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The shackles would have to be 3" longer in order to get 1.5" of lift. My guess is that much of a longer shackle would cause alignment issues and also possible front driveshaft binding unless you put shims between the springs and axle pads. What about just getting some of ORD's 0-rates for 1" of lift?

4. 88jimmy4x4

Those Hill4WD shackles look great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I need to shim the front diff up anyway (got the rear perfect last weekend), but I dont want to create more problems like alignment or caster issues. I thought alot of members here ran extended front shackles without problems /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I guess I could allways get the zero rates, however I was hoping to do those in conjunction with the shackles for about 2" more lift.

thanks guys

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Like I said, read that article can show you how to shim the axle. Should work fine for you.

6. 88jimmy4x4

I read the article. I allready have a 3 degree shim in the front now and its not enough /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif