Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DayTime running lights

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by Sparky87k5, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

My wifes 98 GMC Jimmy (S15) has these dang day time running lights. I want to disable this feature so she can use her regular head lamp switch to turn lights on. She only drives short distances, all of it in town and continues to run the battery down from all the start/stopping of the engine. I figure if the alternator can only handle the necessary equipment, maybe it'll help. Any ideas?

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Check your fuses and see if you have one that's just for DRLs. If that's the case, all you have to do is yank the fuse.

Sometimes they make the fuse that does the DRLs also cover other areas of the truck, like turn signals or brake lights, etc. If that's the case, you can't pull the fuse.

My '95 doesn't have DRLs. I'm very happy about that.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dont know. but i'd like to disable it on our prism too. Hate that. They burn out a lot quicker.

4. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

if you press you E-Brake pedal one click in , it will get rid of those annoying Day time running lights, i have done it on several vehicles i have owned and never had a problem with brake wearing out to quick either so don't worry bout the brakes!!!!!! one click doesn't even engage them !!!!

oh well just my idea of fixing that issue!!!

ck1500

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I know on some models a temp. fix is to press the dome override switch 4 times. If you want a more perm. fix I have a web site that sells a switch to turn them off and on.

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I wish that it was a federal highly enforced law that while driving, regardless of the time of day, every vehicle must have their headlights on, and pay a fine if they wish not to comply.

Are you sure that the battery is being run down because of the lights? The engine should start easy, meaning that there is probably no significant drain on the battery that it would need much charge. When the engine is running the alternator (if working properly) is probably putting out 100 or 105 amps, I can't see how the 8 amps that the daytime running lamps draw could be the cause of the battery being run down. Possibly there is a problem somewhere in the charging cicuit, a weak battery, or something else (a short) that drains the battery while the engine is not running? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. puck k5

puck k5 Registered Member

my wife has a 98 s-10 blazer with DRL`s. and we never had a problem with the battery or anything running down. sounds like you have a problem somwwhere else.

8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you press you E-Brake pedal one click in , it will get rid of those annoying Day time running lights, i have done it on several vehicles i have owned and never had a problem with brake wearing out to quick either so don't worry bout the brakes!!!!!! one click doesn't even engage them !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried that with our '99 S-blazer. E-brakes did come on at one click. Also at night the twilight sentinal takes over and turns the regular lights on. No biggie, except camp grounds like you to drive with only the running lights on. And I as a camper wish people would drive with only their running lights on /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. Nothing like kids getting woke up at 1:00 am due to headlights shinning into the tent/camper etc.

9. bowtiebstrd

bowtiebstrd Registered Member

that's when you push the dome light button four times and turn them off. i just wish they stayed off so i didn't have to hit the d@mn thing every time!

10. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status