Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dB drag racing

Discussion in 'Audio' started by '73 K5, Apr 12, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't kept up on those competitions for a while and I just got to wondering about something tonight. I remember reading in a couple magazines a year or two ago about a 6 foot diameter subwoofer that Richard Clark put in a delivery truck. It was supposed to be HUGE in the SPL lanes, but they had tech. difficulties and didn't fare that well. Anyways my question is, has that truck done any more competing??? What kind of numbers is it cranking out? And also, what is the SPL record up to now? Has anyone cracked 180 yet? Just curious...

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Clarks woofer did pretty poorly from what I heard. They had it mounted in the rear of a bread truck and when they fired it up it crumpled the back of the vehicle. Which in and of itself it is pretty impressive [​IMG]

No one has hit 180db yet. And I don't expect them too for some time. 173ish is as high as some people have been getting (JL audio demo vehicle with like 10,000watts and 4 15w3's burped that onces in prelims but only pulled a 166 in finals).

A new level of being impressed though...1 15" Mouse (attomic thunder) hit over 160db in a car. 1 15"......just one....

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

In '99 My buddy Micheal Jones of Custom sound, Lubbock Tx set a new world record of 174.1db with 9 15" Digital Designs subs and 18 250 watt crossfire amps. Haven't stayed in touch with him lately, but last I heard he had a design that will hit a constant 178-180dbs for about 20 minutes at a time. No burp, just a long bass note. I sat in the thing doing 150's and need out after about 15 sec. haha. It's amazing what bass notes like that do to your body. Later on

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Sherman, Tx
    The road goes on Forever and the Party never ends!

4. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

The DB Drag/ IDBL record right now is 173 ish. By the little JL Audio mobile. That car showed up in Nashville at the semi- finals. Built by a single shop and did 172 0r 173. Then thats when JL took the car and helped them out. Where did your buddy compete???? I have never heard of such numbers except for in like port wars. which is where you stick the mic. in the port of the box. Which doesn't really compare to a dash reading.

5. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

The car with the 15 is owned by Nathan Munson. He set a new record recently running a 15" DD w/4400W, hitting 170.8 legal at the dash. Amazing........
    Every year the records reset, but the highest recorded in recent years is 174.7 by John Henry. For this year, it is around 173.
    I already have my equipment for competition this year, just need a K5 to install it all in....it is too late for me to get much out of this season, but I'm still going to World Finals as a spectator this year(in Nashville).

Premier, Pioneer, Phoenix Gold, Stinger, HiFonics, Image Dynamics, Ground Zero

6. KingSmoth

Also, when Munson ran the Mouse, he did a 168 with that, then switched the the DD.
    As for hitting constant 178-180's, I sincerely doubt it will even do near a 178, considering there's not many people even managing 170's in the first place, along with 174's and up.

7. KingSmoth

8. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

I heard clarks woofer was a huge let down. The strength of the bread truck wasn't enough and when they fired it up the sides crumpled or something along those lines. Dang cool lookin though [​IMG]

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

9. KingSmoth

Hehe yeah, I don't care about it being a let down, you have extreme show-off ability with a 5 foot sub. :)

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A 5 foot sub woofer? Holy Crap!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'll get the exact numbers posted soon. Like I said, I have not talked to him in a while. But I SAW 178's last time I was there, no lie. It's no biggie to me cause I couldn't give two craps about the heavy bass world. I'm kind of proud of my old buddy for doing so well is all. But if you want to call me a liar, send me a private message and we'll talk this over if you want. I see from your sig line, that it seems you're into this stereo thing, perhaps even operating your own shop. Mike set that record at the points race before the finals in '99, and didn't do as well in the finals. I think he got second or third place. Little green hatchback Mitsubishi Cordia with white racing stripes. But I'll get you real world numbers and get back to you. In the meantime, just know that I'm right and you're <font color=red>WRONG</font color=red>

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey I finally got back to Lubbock this weekend for my bachelor party and hooked up with Mike at his new shop. He's doing well and it's good to see. He's putting 3/4 ton solid axles under his Z71 on 44's with 4 friggin TVs, 4 DD subs, and hellifiknow what else.

Anyway, to quiet down the non believers. His car hit a 174.1 at World dB drag Finals 2000 to be the loudest vehicle on the planet. His van took second place at .1dB behind John Henry in another competition. And he hit 178.something at South Padre. If you want to read about it, find a May '01 copy of auto sound and security and look closely at the front cover. hmmmm...Mike Jones, Lubbock Tx. There's a big article inside. I used to work with the guy just on a friends basis when he had just started in two 12x24 shops with a piece of tin taken out in between. We were so stoked to hit a 160dB at Texas Heat Wave. The stereo world is not my scene, but it sure was good to learn a little about it and now it's awesome to see a friend make his way to the top and create a name for himself.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>