Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dbl shocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by corona1k5, Mar 10, 2001.

1. corona1k5

corona1k5 Registered Member

does anyone have dbl shocks on their blazer? I want to know if it improves the ride, cause some people say it is worse and makes it stiffer. But what my impression was is that it makes each shock work less and have less heat and that seems like it will improve the ride. help

thanx

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I got double shocks on the front of my 87 Jimmy. I've never been in a k5 with single shocks so I can't really contrast and compare. But my truck definitly rides like a truck though, you know when you hit pot holes or rough rail road tracks. It is totally stock also, so I haven't put heavier springs or anything under it. Also the front leaf springs have 3 leafs. Hope this gives you an idea of what they ride like.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    "if it ain't got rust, it ain't got character."

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My K5 with 3/6leafs front/rear and quad shocks in front is much more "stable" on road than my '83 with 2/5 leafs and single front shocks. I would attribute that much more to springs than shocks, because in turning long, gradual turns, like freeway on-ramps, my '83 would really have a lot of body roll. The '86 has much less body roll, and I feel that its much more connected to the concrete with most of the weight evenly on all 4 tires, as opposed to mostly on the outer ones, as you get with body roll. Both had the same anti-sway bar from the factory.

The Quad shocks would help more so in quick manuevering where they are effective..shocks are just for that...shock. They will tend to dampen any bumps more so than single shocks, and since there are two, depending on how calibrated, probably ride harsher than singles. But since I changed springs as well as amount of shocks, I can't authoritatively state it was the quad shocks that made my ride slightly harsher. Who cares, its a truck.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have Quad shocks on my 89 and like them better than single shocks. I tried taking one shock off. It made my K5 handle like a pig on rough washboard dirt the roads I drive on. I would rather have a little stiffer ride and stay more connected with the road. Than a soft ride and end up in a ditch. But I guess if you are just going to putt putt around single shocks are ok.

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have always been under the inpression that the OEM shocks were valved differently in the duals. If you have 2 shocks valved lighter it will take longer to aireate the fluid and cause the shock to become uneffective. That is why after you lift it and put on dual R5000's it rides like s#it

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]