Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DBlazer, or anyone else....Cleaning speakers...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MudFrog, Mar 3, 2001.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone...
    I have a set of Kenwood 4 way 6x9's, they have the blue cone with the yellow smaller tweeter cones. The question is I have them sitting face up in the blazer and over time dust has settled on them, on the speaker itself not just the guard. I tried using compressed air but the dust is caked on pretty good. Can I use something like glass cleaner or will that harm the cones? Thanks for any input.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have Sony ones like those and I just use rubbing alcohol on them. Not tons...but enough to clean off the junk. I use q-tips, and cotton balls and a few shops rags and have never had a problem. I just make sure I don't let any of the alcohol sit on anything for any period of time. It's always worked for me, so who knows it could for you?

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Maybe a soft 1" paintbrush along with the hose from your vacuum...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

Don't use alcahol or anything like that. All of the alchohol or amonia based products will enter in the cones and most of which are plastc or at least PVC based, and cause them to become brittle, which in return will cause the cone to eventuall break. Sme goes for electronic devices. A printed circuit board comes with a slight "clear coating." When you use solvents to clean them then it jeapordises the integrity of the board and will result eventuall in device failure.

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I use a spray on product called "Endust for Electronics". It is specifically formulated to safely clean any electronic equipment. It's anti-static, oil free and wax free, and you can find it in grocery and hardware stores. I use it on my computer, including the screen and keyboard, fax machine, stereo components, cell phone, and K5 instrument cluster. Happy cleaning.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".