Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DC to AC. Any other options besides an inverter for $100?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stu454, Sep 25, 2003.

1. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in setting up AC outlets in the Tahoe (and untimately the '73). What are my options? I've found and inverter for sale that offers 400 watts and 18 amps for about $100.

Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Stu

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

......how about a larger inverter for $200??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What is your actual question? Are you trying to come up with a solution that's even cheaper than $100, or just trying to confirm that the inverter you're looking at is worth getting???

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Try some boating catalogs. West Marine, Boat U/S & Defender Marine are probally the biggest. They have web sites and a pretty large selection of inverters. It all comes down to $$$

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Cabela's sells an 800 watt inverter for $100. That's the way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Costco has a 400 watt inverter for only $25. Also, a 400 watt inverter doesn't put out 18 amps, so I'm not sure where you saw that. An inverter that puts out 18 amps is closer to 2000 watts.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What are you going to use the outlets for? That's what will detirmine how much money you should think about spending.

7. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Ahhhhh. Good question. Small electronics like radios and whatnot.

8. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

You should be able to get by with as little as 200 watts. I have a 140 watt that I've used for radios, my Dremel, and other small things and never had any problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

If you have high drain devices, you might want to stay away or use the alternate head (instead of the cigarette lighter, use a direct power source). Other than that, there are sine wave models out there if you have sensitive devices. most things arent that sensitive, so take your pick.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

For 100 bucks you might want to look at one of these from northerntool.com
    I have a 1000 watt inverter in my K5. It will run most anything up to 1/2 hp. Kinda handy to have lots of power in the hills. Espically for the Blender /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I run the smallest inverter available and it is enough to run my laptop. I even ran a 9" TV/VCR combo off it. Nothing like taking my south park collection of video tapes along camping /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I use my 300 watt inverter to run my 25" tv and Dish Network reciever when I go camping. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I have a 400 watt normal operating/800 watt surge that I bought at Sam's Club and it has never let me down. It doesn't sound like much but short of runnin a coffee pot or somethin like that that draws bunches of amps there's not that much to worry about. Just my two cents worth. Good luck to you.

Allan

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Look at constant Watts.

Watts = Volts * Amps

An inverter rated at a constant 200 Watts will support devices that draw no more than 2 amps (200 / 110).

It will draw around 20 amps (or more) to put out that 2 amps. (20 x 12 = 240). The overage (loss) is due to resistive losses dissipated as heat.

So, figure out what you need to run and what it will draw (amps). Then figure out the Watts required for that amperage to choose the inverter. Make sure to look at constant draw on each, not peak, although devices that have high startup demand may require you to look at peaks.

Once you have the inverter, calculate the input amperage and add 20% or so for loss. The inverter may tell you what the loss is. Anyway, take that and make sure you have big enough wire on the input to handle the amps (constant and peak). Also make sure it can get enough air flow to take care of the power lost as heat...

That's a simplification and roughly accurate. Close enough anyway, unless I'm mistaken...

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Look at constant Watts.

Watts = Volts * Amps

An inverter rated at a constant 200 Watts will support devices that draw no more than 2 amps (200 / 110).

It will draw around 20 amps (or more) to put out that 2 amps. (20 x 12 = 240). The overage (loss) is due to resistive losses dissipated as heat.

So, figure out what you need to run and what it will draw (amps). Then figure out the Watts required for that amperage to choose the inverter. Make sure to look at constant draw on each, not peak, although devices that have high startup demand may require you to look at peaks.

Once you have the inverter, calculate the input amperage and add 20% or so for loss. The inverter may tell you what the loss is. Anyway, take that and make sure you have big enough wire on the input to handle the amps (constant and peak). Also make sure it can get enough air flow to take care of the power lost as heat...

That's a simplification and roughly accurate. Close enough anyway, unless I'm mistaken...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif "I find your abundance of knowledge disturbing" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

...ps, looks like I'm bringing you a tranny at BB03 after all....

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I use my 300 watt inverter to run my 25" tv and Dish Network reciever when I go camping. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done a lot of camping...sounds like camping in your area is a little different. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. stu454

stu454 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help, y'all.