Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DD dies... any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr_blasto, Mar 28, 2006.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

It's a sad, sad day :(. For the first time, an old car has left me stranded. I have had a '60 dodge, a '66 vw, and now my '72 k5, and the k5 just died as we pulled into a parking lot tonight. Totally humiliating to watch that thing getting loaded onto a flat bed and being towed to my apartment. Kinda a bummer when the fam's only car dies :frown1:.

Thursday, I am going to have to spend some time trying to get it running. I need CK5 to point me in the right direction, any ideas :1zhelp: ? Here is what we have to work with:

1. It was raining and had been most of the day.
    2. After the car died, all the electronics still worked (headlights, etc.)
    3. The starter would crank, and the motor would turn, it just wouldn't fire up
    4. FYI I am using an MSD ignition box, MSD distributor, MSD wires, and MSD coil all of which were installed new within the last 6,000 miles.
    5. As we pulled into the parking lot, there was a small dip in the road. As we went over the dip, the motor cut out and wouldn't start back up. No sputtering, no gradual stalling, just flat out dead instantly :what:.

I haven't had any sort of problems like this with the car in the past, so this is totally out of the blue. All I can figure is that the water boogered up the ignition one way or another. What should I be looking for? I figure I'd start at the spark plugs just to make sure that lack of spark is the problem. What would you do next? CK5 WORK YOUR MAGIC!

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

check all your connections, maby going over the dip knocked somthing loose. After you make sure every thing is connected check for spark while cranking, if still no spark you will need to start checking the components of the ignition system

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Condensation or water inside the cap would be the first thing to check if you don't have spark at the plugs. Then I would check to see that the MSD box is getting power from the battery. Check all the coil connections and box connections. Then I would replace the coil and see if that fixes the problem. If it still doesn't fire then I would change the pickup coil out. If that doesn't help :confused: .

Harley

4. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

does it have gas?

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking. Check to see if fuel is making its way into the engine. Pump,filter, strainer in tank, line...

6. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Seems like a fuel pump to me. Easy to diagnose and repair.

7. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

There is plenty of gas in the tank, but perhaps it isn't making it to the motor. I kinda figured that it would likely be condensation under the cap like hossbaby50 mentioned, what with all the rain and all.

Keep the suggestions coming, I start attacking it on thursday based on the most common suggestions. I will be sure to post up my progress for further suggestions.

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just disconnect the feed line at the carb and see if fuel is making it to the carb. If not, pump and filter time.

9. LovesDunes

LovesDunes Registered Member

That's the great thing about old vehicles. Easy to diagnose. You know an engine needs fuel, spark and compression. We can assume it has compression. Check for fuel and spark and go from there. If it happens to start on Thurday then it could have been condesation that was in the cap. Good luck and let us know what you find.

10. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Hopefully it will be easy to diagnose and repair, but we all know that "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing." Tomorrow is the big day... I will post up my findings. Thanks.

11. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Problem solved

IT'S ALIIIIIIIVE!!! As it turned out, I wasn't getting any spark. I tried some wd40 under the distributor cap, and nothing. Tried to check for spark at the coil, nothing. Put a new coil in, nothing. Started tracing wires, and the positive going into the MSD box was only being held together by a tiny bit of the insulation :doah:. Funny how those things don't run when they don't have power :confused: :thinking:.

Thanks to all of those who helped, I really appreciate it. Being that it is our only daily driver, we are really excited to have it running.