Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DD opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Jan 30, 2007.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Right now I have 2 k5's one m1009 (curretly in progress) and a 91'. I drive the 91' as a DD right now and have plans to drive the 09 when it's done. The 91' gets around 10-12mpg's and the 09 should pull high teens.

My questions centers around selling the 91' when the 09 is finished, but I've been thinking (bad idea). There are tons of trackers/sidekicks for dirt cheap around here. I was thinking of buying one and doing a VW diesel swap. I've been doing some research and feel that it is within my skill zone. This should give me around 35mpg's and a good learning experience.

Also, I plan on keeping the 09 forever and I also run a restaurant which produces about 20gal of waste oil a week. Which, eventually, will power one of the diesels.

2. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

My buddy's doin an engine swap (stock for stock) on a Sidekick his girlfriend's stepdad gave him so he can use it for a DD. I can't really help you with tech, but we'd both be interested to see the end product.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't think I'd want to drive a sidekick, my long tall self would have to fold and unfold getting in and out of one of those.

You don't mention the condition of your 1009, but I'd just drive that if you are worried about fuel mileage.