Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DD vehicle ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Mar 13, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

OK, I've finally decided that my K10 has grown too large to do daily driver duties anymore.

I really wanted to replace it with an F350 or Ram 2500 with a diesel/6 speed combo. The only problem with that is that it's damn near impossible to find a diesel/6 speed truck and I can't afford a new one.

Of course, since I've already got two heavy duty trucks...I don't really need another one. Sure, I really want a diesel, but they're impossible to find used the way I want, so screw that.

So, since I'm a hardcore manual fan, (I'm done with automatics. I'm fed up with them honestly. My TH 400 is my only exception and I wish I'd made that truck a 4 speed too) what can I look for that will get halfway decent fuel mileage (around 20 MPG) and be equipped with 4wd?

I cringe at the idea but I almost bought a 2002 Ford Ranger yesterday. For some reason, nobody buys 6 cylinder S10 4x4s with 5 speed manuals.

Am I stuck buying a Heep? I hate to do it, but I refuse to be without 4wd and a grind box. Is the Jeep Wrangler the last american 4x4 that people still buy with a manual?

I've been home from active duty for two weeks, I've got all this money, and I have no clue what to buy. Can SOMEBODY help me spend my money? I want to spend no more than about $14k....although I would have spent more if I could have found a diesel pickup by now.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How do you feel about Toyota or some little forien jobbie like that ??? Manual trans, 4WD, and gas milage. Little bit of a weenie mobile, but hey, we're talking about a daily driver not a serous wheeler.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 94 F250 extra cab longbed 4x4 with a 460 and a 5 speed for $6k.I bought it to tow my junk with but I drive it almost every day too.Its not a diesel but I could pull a house with it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI too wanted a diesel but unless you need it to tow and tow alot its kinda hard to justify the additional cost at purchase and maintenance costs that come with it.

Just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got my '87 C30 to pull my junk with. If I did get a Diesel, it'd only be because I want to use it to tow AND have a daily driver for decent fuel mileage.

I can still continue to use my '87 for towing/hauling duties.

I'm not sure what I'm going to buy. I suppose if I could find a 4.0L Ranger with a 5 speed and 4wd, I'd buy it. Otherwise, screw it...I'll just buy a 4 cyl S10 and deal with not having 4wd (Since stick shift S10s with 4wd are impossible to find).

5. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

If you had the cash and was closer I MIGHT sell you mine. Check my sig. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Those Toyota Tacomas are nice trucks. You can eek almost 30 MPG out of the 4 banger ones, plus the 4 banger comes in a 4x4 with standard 5 speed. The 6 cylinder ones also come in standard. The downside, they're a tad bit more pricey than the S-10's.

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

s10

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    s10

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to have an S10. Problem is it's impossible to find one with a 5 speed and 4wd. Hell, it's impossible to find a 4.3L truck with a 5 speed period. I can't even find a 2wd like that.

I'll look into the Tacoma even though I can't stand Japanese makes. Grr...

9. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A couple of years ago I had a 2wd S-10 with a 4.3L and a 5 speed. The transmission came out of of a fullsize rwd car I think. If you can figure out the crossmembers and clearance, any transmission combo that fits a chevy smallblock v8 will fit the 4.3L V6. They have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah but I'm not gonna buy a 3 year old truck and do that.

11. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

hell the way gas prices are going, I'm seriously considering an s-10, 4-banger 5speed...had one a few years ago and gas mileage is great (about 28 mpg hwy)

can't see NEEDING a 4x4 for everyday driving. I drive on the interstate to & from work, and if the weather is going to be bad enough to need a 4x4, I'm sure I'll know it ahead of time.

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

My dodge is going up on the chopping block pretty soon. It's more than you wanted to pay though. I want $23K outta it. It's a 2002 2wd cummins/6 speed quad cab swb and it'll pull a house. 24K miles. Stickered at 34K and I got it for 28K in July. I figured on a job that'd pay a bit more and now I want to save for a house. Let me know.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Why dont you look for a newer IFS K or C1500 with a Vortec 4.3L/5 speed in it. You can usually pick them up pretty cheap because most people want V8s
    A buddy of mine has one. Its a nice full size truck. He gets over 20 mpg on the highway and can still haul /tow a resonable load. Its no powerhouse but it has plenty of power for everyday all around 1/2 ton use.
    It goes pretty good offroad too.

14. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately a 5sp in a s10 will get worse mileage than an auto. Identically geared and tire size will show the manual turning about 250rpm higher than the auto while on the highway. EPA window stickers show the same. Lady at work found this out when she bought her new s10. Wanted a manual but passed due too the mileage loss. This may be why very few 5sp/4.3s are sold.

Our '99 S10 blazer 4dr gets 21-23mpg highway, 4.3/auto. Ladies '02 ext cab S10 w/4.3/auto gets no better than 17 highway,maybe 18 w/o topper. Same gear ratio, must be aerodynamics /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. As far as the topper goes, it's an aluminum one with all the exposed bars, not a smooth fiberglass model.
    Interested in a '90 dodge /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif?

15. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I know I'm going straight to hell for saying this but if I had to buy a cheap 4 cylinder 4X4 with a stick shift I would buy a 4 cylinder Wrangler, I think from around 1990 and up they came with fuel injection and they
    they do pretty good off-road too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

my friend has a 94 wrangler with a 2.5 and a 5 speed and that thing is a lot of fun...ive never seen it go offraod to much but i bet it would do ok..i dont have anything against them. and yes its fuel injected..

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Why are you stuck on a truck?

No shame in driving some piece of junk car, especially when you consider your feelings won't be hurt when/if something happens to it. I'd much rather some Honda Civic gets smashed than my truck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just thought I'd throw that out there...it's actually a nice change to move to a car for driving once in awhile. The MPG will certainly be a lot higher. (although if a Tacoma can pull down 30MPG, I'm fairly impressed)

Plus, with two trucks already, whats the point of getting another one?

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Why are you stuck on a truck?

No shame in driving some piece of junk car, especially when you consider your feelings won't be hurt when/if something happens to it. I'd much rather some Honda Civic gets smashed than my truck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just thought I'd throw that out there...it's actually a nice change to move to a car for driving once in awhile. The MPG will certainly be a lot higher. (although if a Tacoma can pull down 30MPG, I'm fairly impressed)

Plus, with two trucks already, whats the point of getting another one?

[/ QUOTE ] cough "Corvette" cough

19. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Go with a rice burner! :lol You won't regret the mileage. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    cough "Corvette" cough

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno what the later Camaro's got for mileage, but you can't scoff at the performance, and I'd be surprised if they didn't pull down 25+MPG on the freeway.

And a heck of a lot of fun as a daily driver. Impala SS is another choice (RWD V8, GM) but a fairly expensive, more collectible, vehicle.

Still like the idea of a small car with good mileage to take the beatings, everything else can be something you actually care about /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif