Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DD with manual VB....WITH POLL!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Aug 8, 2006.

?

DD a manual VB?

1. do it.......nekkid

20 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. just get the regular gate shifter and ride the gears when you want to......nekkid

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

how many of you do it? i`m contemplating the idea, but would really like some feed back from you guys that have done it, i`m running a 700r4, and want to get the TCi reverse manual valve body, and an Art Carr reverse pattern shifter, but i`m wondering if i should not do it, and just get the regular Art Carr gate shifter, so i can go throught the gears when i want...my rig will only see minor offroading, so nothing like rock crawling....but is more a DD than anything

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

DO IT!

And tell us how it works - I want that setup as well :D

3. NEK5

do you DD your rig? just wondering if it will be right for a DD

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Do it, just don't let friends drive it with out know how to drive it or they will burn it up.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, so long as you remember to shift when you should be shifting, it oughta work fine on a DD. Pretty much a manual trans without the 3rd-leg pedal.

j

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Just make sure the rest of your drivetrain is up to it. With the VB it will shift SUPER hard since every gear is getting full pressure. So if you are running stock size 1310 u-joints you might think about upgrading. Other then that the few times that I have cruzed around the block in my truggy is is VERY fun to drive. especially with such fast shifting it really gets up and goes:D

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a MVB in my car that I sold, wasn't a DD, but I drove it alot. It got tiresome after awhile. You have to shift it everytime, and in stop and go that sucks. It's nice cause you can start in 2nd if needed, or hold it in gear till you shifted it. I guess what I'm trying to say, it gets old pretty quick.

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Just get the gate shifter. When I still had my blazer with the 6.0/4l80e, I had a similar shifter from B&M called their truck megashifter, and I drove it for a few weeks shifting everywhere. It got old though and was kind of nice to have the option to just leave it in OD sometimes. But yeah its fun as hell to wind out all the gears and have control of your own shift points.

Remington

9. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

I put a manual vb in my th 400 and if you put it in drive it works about the same as a normal auto. The only difference is you can downshift when ever you want and it will hold whatever gear you select until you upshift.It also shifts much harder.
    The reason I installed mine was for mud races, it helps for crawling but not as much as you would think.

10. NEK5

would letting off the gas when you shift make a difference?? i`m still debating this, and i`m leaning more towards just getting the shifter, but maybe i just need a little persuasion:D

11. NEK5

thats what i`m thinking

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

the shifts with the manual vb are pretty bad, but you can let off the gas. I dont know how good it is on the torque converter but I have been doing that with mine and I drive it quite alot. No probalems yet. In between shifts Ill just let off and then get back into it, makes the shifts tolerable on the street (nice and smooth acceleration), saves your drive train a little, and if you have a decent exhaust system it sounds really cool in between shifts.....ssssshhhhhhhh dont tell anyone its not a "real" manual even though sometimes it sounds that way.;)

I quite enjoy the manual vb, dont think I would want it in a "daily" driver, even though I do drive mine pretty much daily. I do alot of cruising around the beach. and running errands. The best part is when a ricer pulls up next to me, if I decide to romp on it hard it gets up and goes. 383/400 with 5.13's and 38's. I really like being able to shift how I want it to, I wouldnt change a thing about the vb setup, except I need a little bit larger tire to get the rrr's down a little bit.

13. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I ran a manual setup on my TH400 and it was fine but I did not use it on a daily basis. The bigest problem I have seen in the past was customers would have a manual vb installed and forget to shift back to first at a redlight, take off hard and burn it up after doing so a few times.

For a daily driver I would just get the gate shifter and shift it when you want to.

14. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

People sometimes get very paranoid about their TV cable, and start thinking about a manual VB in order to get rid of the cable entirely. Even if it's adjusted right, they think it might have gotten out of adjustment somehow, and so forth.

They might consider a trans line pressure gauge to help minimize their concerns, because that will show you if your pressure is getting boosted when you get heavy on the gas pedal (it does help to know the normal closed and full-open throttle values in each gear for your trans build). Here we are at idle in park (the rightmost gauge):

gauge_cluster.jpg

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

You should also consider winter driving, ice and snow with hard shifts? Throw a Detroit into the mix and you could have a 'real fun time'.

16. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

you do realize that drifting is cool these days, right?:haha:

17. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

nevermind

18. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

i havent had mine in the snow but even in the rain alone it makes for real fun driving with 5.13's and a detroit. Hell even when its dry out if I come around a corner and get on it at about half throttle the ass end of my truck pitches way sideways and starts roostin 38's. :eek1: :saweet: