Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

De-chroming?? Sandblasting??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Topher, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Topher

Topher Registered Member

I've got a winch front bumper, stock rear bumper, stock mirrors and door handles....ALL chrome and I want them black. What's the most cost-effective DIY method of doing this? Can I just do the standard pre-painting prep, then primer and paint? Or will I need to take the chrome off first?

What does the de-chroming process entail? Is this related to sandblasting? Any idea how much something like this would cost?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Dechroming process involves an acid strip of the chrome (actually hardened nickel alloy). The easiest method would be sandblasting with a fine medium. This will break the surface and give a rougher texture for the paint to stick to. Another way would be to sand the bumper with 400 to 360 grit wet/dry, use Duponts Metal prep to clean the surface then paint. Chrome itself can be painted as long as you break the glossy surface and give some texture for the paint to stick to.

3. Sax Art

Sax Art Registered Member

I know dad and I used to use "muratic acid" (a weak form of Hydrocloric) for removing the plating from "plated" bolts. I dont' know if it works on chrome, but you can usually buy muratic acid at any building supply store (they use it to clean concrete prior to painting) for about $2.00/gallon.

give it a try!

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Oven cleaner eats chrome pretty well....used it a few times on small pieces (never a whole bumper though)

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

5. Just get out the sander and give it a go, that's the cheapest way, but takes the longest. All you need to do is to scratch it up enough for the paint to hold on without running.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

6. Topher

Topher Registered Member

Ahh, thanks for the tips guys. I'll see how much it'll be to get my chrome removed professionally, but I think I'll probably just paint over the chrome as per y'alls advice.

Chris

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I had a fender chemically stiipped for $50. For a bumper it would probably be about the same if not less, depends on where you live. I'm in CA so I'm sure it'll be cheaper in TX.

8. Rampage, where did you go to get it stripped, not the actual place but the type of place...who does that stuff?

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.