Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DEA Agent Demonstrates Gun Safety to School Kids -- By Shooting Himself

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, May 7, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

5/7/04

Now, here's a lesson on gun safety that will not quickly be forgotten. According to Orlando, Florida, television station WKMG, an Orlando-based DEA agent shot himself in the leg during a gun safety presentation to local kids. The agent, whom superiors mercifully refused to name, was treated at the Orlando Hospital Center after the April 9 incident and is now back on the job. According to police reports, the agent drew his .40-caliber pistol and removed the magazine, then pulled back the slide and asked someone from the audience to look inside the gun and confirm it wasn't loaded. The pistol was pointed at the floor, and when he released the slide, one bullet fired into the top of his left thigh. The DEA agent's presentation was at an event sponsored by the Orlando Minority Youth Golf Association (http://www.omyga.org). There was no explanation as to the link between teen golf and gun safety. But the agent's presentation had an impact, according to witnesses. "The kids screamed and started to cry," said Vivian Farmer, who attended the presentation with her 13-year-old nephew. "Everyone was pretty shaken up," Farmer told WKMG. "But the point of gun safety hit home. Unfortunately, the agent had to get shot. But after seeing that, my nephew doesn't want to have anything to do with guns."

2. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif poor guy, next time I bet he'll look himself and not take someone else's word for it, that should be a lesson in itself with the other. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif, said he released the slide, did he place the clip back in or didn't the bullet that was in the chamber not eject when pulled back /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do they not get taught gun safety or what?

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...what a douch bag. I would like to feel sorry for him, but come on... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

my uncle, Sgt. Kinzer in Houston TX was telling me last year at a S.W.A.T. training course the team was learning some new tactics and about 15 minutes after the briefing and the importance of NOT carrying a loaded weapon was stressed to everyone, the exercise was underway and the team leader who had stressed this point was "firing"(Blanks) at another guy playing the perp at this point his M4 jammed and his training took over and he immediatly removed his Loaded(live rounds) Glock 40 and put two in the other officer center mass killing him instantly.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Something about that story just isn't making sense to me. If he removed the mag and racked the slide back, it should eject any round that might be in the chamber. I know that guns occassionally malfunction, but if he knew their was a round in the chamber, how would he pull the trigger after not seeing a round eject?

Something just isn't clicking here. Remove mag, rack the slide, and no round ejects, and you knew their was one in there. The stupidy that follows, I just don't understand.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There are lots of things that could have happened

He may not have racked the slide back all the way and the round didn't eject fully and fell back into the chamber.

When he chambered the round the first time he may not have let the slide seat fully and therefore not engaged the extractor onto the round, he racks the slide and it doesn't eject. Then he lets the slide forward and it seats this time. Bang.

He may have jacked the slide first and then dumped the mag. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Who knows, but he is still a dumb ass for not checking the chamber himself. I am sure he won't make that mistake again.

Harley

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, I always put my finger in there even if I think it is empty. I guess it's just such a habit to make sure you do stuff like this safely that you don't even think about what might happen if you didn't.

Still, any time I pull the trigger, dry fire, or not, I make sure that the weapon is pointed in a safe direction. Your leg isn't a safe place to have a gun pointed even if it is empty IMO.

I just don't understand how people do this to themselves. Nobody I know of has ever killed themselves with shop tools, yet I'm sure many are damn near as dangerous as a gun.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

This was my point, don't they teach these people gun safety? Like Tim said, even if I know its not loaded I never point the barrel at anything I don't intend to shoot. Well besides the air or the ground.

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This was my point, don't they teach these people gun safety? Like Tim said, even if I know its not loaded I never point the barrel at anything I don't intend to shoot. Well besides the air or the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the SWAT training story they were firing at one another with blanks. Im with you, I never point the barrel if I dont intend to shoot or about to shoot either. If we were SWAT we might have flunked the course.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I always put my finger in there even if I think it is empty. I guess it's just such a habit to make sure you do stuff like this safely that you don't even think about what might happen if you didn't.

Still, any time I pull the trigger, dry fire, or not, I make sure that the weapon is pointed in a safe direction. Your leg isn't a safe place to have a gun pointed even if it is empty IMO.

I just don't understand how people do this to themselves. Nobody I know of has ever killed themselves with shop tools, yet I'm sure many are damn near as dangerous as a gun.

[/ QUOTE ] I point it downward and look through the barrel to make sure there isn't a round hidding in there. I don't like to dry fire any wepon, I usely go for sidearms with a decocking mechonism. Looking at a Beretta 9 up at the local gun store. Pretty nice wepon.

12. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

From what bigcountry said. The officer's M4 jammed, so he reached for his GLOCK (different weapon) which was loaded with live rounds, and shot the "perp."

What I don't understand is why anyone was carring live rounds during a training ex. where officers would be deliberately pointing weapons at each other

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

He shouldn't of dry fired his gun without it being pointed at the ground away from anything, better yet he shouldn't of dry fired it in the first place in a room full of kids. Now there is more fuel for the gun control Hippies. And a room full of scared kids, some of which could of been responsible gun owners in the future. I don't get to shoot much, but I never handle a weapon , loaded or not, pointing anywhere near myself or other people. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

What I don't understand is why anyone was carring live rounds during a training ex. where officers would be deliberately pointing weapons at each other

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats what is insane in that story. He was the one telling everyone, DO NOT CARRY LIVE AMMO, and then he shot a man to death cause he didn't take his own warnings.

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Maybe the "perp" pissed off the guy(w/ the live rds) and his story of instinct is just a cover...anything could've happened...

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He shouldn't of dry fired his gun without it being pointed at the ground away from anything, better yet he shouldn't of dry fired it in the first place in a room full of kids. Now there is more fuel for the gun control Hippies. And a room full of scared kids, some of which could of been responsible gun owners in the future. I don't get to shoot much, but I never handle a weapon , loaded or not, pointing anywhere near myself or other people. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[Rant On] This guy should NEVER be allowed to carry a weapon again, which I realize would make him a pretty useless DEA Agent, but would YOU want him watching your back in a gunfight???

This frickin' idiot should have been shot when he returned to work. My tax dollars are paying for this guy???

I won't even go into all the gun safety crap this guy screwed up, as others have already been through it in this post. In summary, outside of a shooting range, I have only pointed my gun (regardless of loaded or empty) at something with intentions of firing it twice, and both times I was fully prepared to fire and kill that which I was aiming at. Even when carrying it from the safe to my brief case I take care to point it at the ground, and even then to make sure there are no kids or dogs at my feet...

What royally pisses me off is what is quoted above... He didn't teach gun safety, he taught gun terror. And more reasons for the anti-gun nuts to go after the responsible gun owners... I can hear it now... "If a highly-trained, government agent can accidentally misfire his weapon in a room full of schoolchildren, how can we trust civilians with the same weapons???"

Furthermore, I don't know what schoolrooms are like these days, but in my high school, he could very easily have killed a child in the classroom BELOW since our school was 3 stories tall and had wood floors.

I want this man's weapon permanently jammed and inoperable, then I want his hand broken into a million pieces, and cast around his gun so that it heals in a fashion that is permanently gripping a useless gun. Then the worst he can do is accidentally hit people with it. If he owns a Glock we'll all be pretty safe. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif [Rant Off]

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, I don't know what schoolrooms are like these days, but in my high school, he could very easily have killed a child in the classroom BELOW since our school was 3 stories tall and had wood floors.

[/ QUOTE ]
    A very good point I didn't think of.

19. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe the "perp" pissed off the guy(w/ the live rds) and his story of instinct is just a cover...anything could've happened...

[/ QUOTE ]

My uncle was "scoring the officers on their employment of the new tactics they were practicing that day when Jobie(the team leader) made his fatale mistake and he lost it.

literally he has not be a "person" since it happened he is completely catatonic(sp?) since that day the officer he killed had just made swat and this was his first exercise. Jobie is now in a private mental facility outside Houston TX my Uncle has stayed in contact with his wife and kids.

I said that t say this it was a mistake an ignorant mistake, but a mistake non-the less.

20. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Come on its Orlando. For us florida boy's gun safety means that you have used up all rounds and the gun won't fire anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif