Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dead battery

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 18, 2002.

hey can anyone please help? i have a 1976 blazer, the battery keeps going dead for some reason? i have put on a new alternator,starter,and new battery. what kind of wiring problem could cause this???

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

any kind of stereo equipment? If it's not shutting down that will do it
    Also if you have avolt meter hooked directly to the battery tha will do it to.
    Chased that gremlin for YEARS

2. René

René 1/2 ton status

The worst for a battery is if it is completely emptied. Thus it can
    be destroyed in a few weeks. Control first if the generator functioned. If yes, then test if a consumer draws unnoticed current from the battery. Best with an Ampèremeter. In addition, it can occur that a battery has a material defect.

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Also double check for exposed positive cable from your battery to the starter around the frame and your exhaust manifold. If its got a spot that the shield is rubbed off and it gets the slightest ground this will cause it to go dead everyday and a half. Just take a double look to rule that out.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How many volts is the alternator putting out? Just because something is new doesn't mean its working right. Isolate problems BEFORE replacing everything under the sun.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I had a similar problem that turned out to be the wiring from the altenator and the battery. Make sure that is all good and also check any add-ons like stereo equipment or anything that draws power.

6. René

René 1/2 ton status

Between 13,5 and 14,5V.
    A full charged Battery has 12,5V