Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dead Optima? Dead blazer after few weeks of not starting my baby...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Dec 10, 2004.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I went to start my blazer for the "wrestler's car show" and it won't even turn over. I jumped it and it started up but then when I turned it off it wouldnt restart and now it won't take a charge.

I have an optima battery (redtop) in it. Do I need to pull it. I dont have a trickle charger just another rig to jump it.

Any ideas?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your optima is junk. When you get a new battery, I suggest you not get an optima. A discharged optima will sulfate VERY quickly (which you found out) and without any free acid, they will not take a recharge.

Time for a new battery. This is how nearly every optima I've ever sold has failed, and come back.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sounds like the battery is toast. Probably going to need a new one.

I have heard that if the plates in an Optima are stuck together that sometimes if you drop it from a few feet in the air onto concrete you can break the plates apart and get the battery to take a charge again. It is worth a shot. If that don't work then I would say your battery is a goner.

Harley

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

, i have killed the batt. (optima) several times in the MINI and it is still going like a charm, i just went out and started it after not running it for a month and it started right up.:waytogo:

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I killed my optima like that as well. Was dead as a door nob. Couldnt recharge it.

i have yet to try the "drop" but I've got 2 dead optimas that im willing to give a toss to. Any particular "method" to this drop?

6. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i thought they were supposed to last a long time and recharge better then most batteries?i got a yellow top thats been sitting in the garage afor a few years. it was bad when we took it out and i was going to try to recharge it to put in the blazer. maybe ill have to shell out some more money for another battery.

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I believe optimas have at least a 2yr warranty on them. I have a red top. I would try taking it to where you purchased it and try to get a replacemment. Couldn't hurt to call them and ask?? :laugh:

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Nope. The design of them is for increased resistance to vibration and faster recharging by less internal resistance.

Optimas are the absolute worst design to discharge, leave discharged for too long, and try to get them to bounce back. It's just prohibitive of the design to be that way.

9. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just had a Red top that was Dead as a door nail and it took almost 2 days before it took a charge, But it did charge.

10. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

You are suppose to slow charge optima batteries or you will cook them and it will never hold a charge. From what you said it sounds like you might have something pulling your barrery down. Might want to have the alternator checked to see if it has bad diodes.

bigred81

11. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought a new one from autozone and it was junk...checked my k5 for a draw and found squat. The story i got was that they have been bought out by Interstate.....and the quality has gone to sh--. They replaced mine and so far this one has had no issues.

DW

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I concur. I left the keys in the ignition of my burb one time when it was not operational for like a week and it drained my redtop dead as a doornail. I tried to recharge it quickly with my uber-badass do anything charger and it wouldnt take a charge. The battery got really hot and some clear stuff bubbled out of the two black hole things in the top. I tried charging it slowly overnight after that and it worked just fine. No problems to date with it.

13. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

My alarm killed my Optima a few times. I couldn't jump it becasue it was so low. I took it out and hooked it up to a charger overnight and it has worked great. I finnaly disconnected my alarm and even after a few months of not starting the truck it starts with noe problem.:D

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

False. Interstate does not, and has not ever, made car batteries.

Batteries in this country are made by one of three manufacturers. Johnson controls, East Penn, or Exide.

Interstate's batteries are made by Johnson Controls. So are Autozone's, and Optimas.

The design (with no free acid) has always been prohibitive from discharging and recharging, even more so than any plate/acid type non-deep cycle car battery.

15. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

A deep cycle battery is designed to be discharged 80%.
    Then recharged to 100%. These style batteries are designed to deliver a
    consistent discharge rate for a given amount of time. Unlike starting batteries that are designed to give a large amount of current quickly(starting your truck)but usually are only good for a limited amount of cranks. A good example is when you leave your lights on.

if your gonna run a deep cycle batt the best use would be as an aux. power source i.e. lights radio winch etc. you need a good starting batt to crank your truck

and the dropping idea is not a great one i've seen it work and i've seen it crack batt's too.

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

how old is your and where did you buy it? have you tried exchanging it yet? If your just going to junk it could I get it from you for a mock-up battery