Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DEAD WINDOW MOTOR

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 3, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Okay my drivers die power window motor has been going slower and slower and now its getting cold outside so I figure I should replace the motor. But How do I do it will I have to take the glass apart. Is there any easy ways of tackling this project? Where can I get the motor from no one in town has one in stock. Also should I replace the window stripswhile Im at it?

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Dude, just a thought,
    Get a spray can of silicone lubricant and SOAK any and all rubber that touches the glass.
    My pass side window did the same thing until one day it totally stopped! I soaked every inch of the channels with the silicone and now she runs just as fast as the drivers side.

Bowtied

3. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Okay I sprayed the window rubber down with the silicone spray and it helped a little bit but it is still getting stuck 75% the way up. Any more suggestions?

1985 GMC JIMMY

4. usually those window tracks hav an adjustment nut at the bottom...

if you silicones the crap out of it, that is about all i can think of, save purchasing a new motor. i'm sure it'll feel nice to see it go up real fast, 'cause mine are slooooow.....

5. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Kragens sells lifetime warrantied rebuilts for $60 per side, they are special order though.. only took 1 or 2 days to get it though.. my drivers side was reallll slow too ('77 GMC) and MAN is the new one fast.. REAL fast, I like it though.. only thing is its kind of noisey but it works good..

you might want to try using lithium grease first on the rollers and stuff, or at least WD40...with manual crank windows, it ALWAYS helps, not so much so with power windows though, from what Ive noticed.. you dont have to remove the glass to change the motor.. what I do is remove the door panel, then put the window all the way up and duct tape it from one side, up around the door and down the other side, that'll hold it.. might have to remove the 4 bolts holding the motor&scissor assembly first.. once you do it, you'll be able to do it soooo much faster & easier.. but just remember, it will all come out through the square hole in the door, the one a little low and to the right of the lock. prepare to cuss a lot & cut up your hands a little, fooling with the assembly through that hole cut in the sheetmetal.. when you unbolt it, have the windows roller upper switch handy, and the power still connected because you may have to "raise" or "lower" the motor a little to make it fit through... just be patient and it will all come together nicely.. good luck..

mike

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Have had a similar problem going on in the last few weeks, and at the most inconvienent time it died. I thought it was the motor or the switch. It turned out to be the power wire shorted out against the track. After replaceing the burned wire, the motor runs like a champ.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."