Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deadenbear Knuckles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kmodi, Dec 20, 2005.

1. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

I am looking to buy some deadenbear knuckles, anybody know where I can get them? Any opinions on them?

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

3. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

awesome thanks!!!! do you know anybody who has used them before?

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't use them but I have a little diferent deal than most. The Deadenbear knuckles are a great upgrade and very tough. I have seen a good number of them in action as well as spent some time fondeling them.
    If you are breaking knuckles they are a wise investment.

5. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

i am not breaking knuckles, but i am going to upgrade my d60 with a detroit, chromo shafts, ctm's, new hubs, and hydro assist. I was thinking of doing hi steer ( i already have crossover ) and am under the impression that if I go to hydro assist and high steer that i would need the extra strength, so i dont start breaking knuckles. Any opinions?

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What do you do with the truck. I have seen many vehicles live with stock knuckles with that same setup. It sounds like you are trying to build the Ultimate bolt together D 60.

If it were me I would try it with the stock knuckles and have the deadenbears in mind if I broke one.

7. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

It is a 85 cucv with 46" michelins, I ride trails and play in the rocks, so with the weight, etc. i figured why not try andmake the ultimte bolt together d60, its cheaper than buying a BA one.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree with Brandon, most people really don't need the DBs. Knuckles are one of the few things I have not broken.

Then again, with 46s on a D60, that's going to be pretty comparable to running 38s on a D44. IOW, out on (or beyond, depending on other factors) the ragged edge of pending doom. I see your in GA, so if it's mostly muddy trails and fields with a few rocky ledges that are assaulted with some degree of finesse, you probably still don't *need* them.

But if you plan to pound on it, I'm not sure the DBs are going to make that much difference. Your likely to be breaking ring/pinion, carriers, bent housings, and all sorts of things with that much weight and leverage working against it.

High steer also adds a point in the DB column, particularly with hydro assist and those monster tires. That's more a problem with Ford knucks (which would be definite candidates for the DBs IMO) but in your case, that might be the deciding point.

I guess with the tire size, hydro assist, and the amount you are already into the axle (and apparently not on a limited budget) the DBs might be a good choice. Add in the fact that a broken knuck will DEFINITELY ruin your day… <shrug>

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

bah, if you have that kind of budget, just get some from welderboy over on pirate. Thing they are $1500. Definitely strong though! I think its a little bit funny how the D60 aftermarket has taken off to the degree it has. There are people out there dumping $5000+ into D60s. Thats cool I guess, but you could get a narrowed, 2" shafted Rockwell for less than that... so in a way it seems a bit silly to spend sooooo much on a 60. At some point you just need a bigger axle.

j

10. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

what started out as putting a front locker in has gotten into a big project but not as big as throwing 2.5 tons under my truck ( plus they are really heavy) i can basically get all of these parts and in a long weekend beef up my front end with some "bolt-ons". i guess with all of it i figured i am going to be in the axle putting a locker in, so i might as well throw some shafts in, and after i put that locker in, the front end is going to be hard to turn....... so i might as well put the hydro assist in too, and if i am going to be doing all of that should i just bite the bullet and buy the knuckles? just an fyi is all

11. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is funny. D60's being too small. Replace 60 in the above quote with 44 and this post would fit in with the other tread on chromo's/ctms in a 44.

When is the madness going to stop???? Will 2 1/2 ton rockies be too *small* at some point? What's next 5 ton mil-spec axles?

Sorry to hijack, I just thought it was funny to see a post where D60's are considered small when every body here wants to have one or already does.

12. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

i dont think they are small or too weak, i have many friends who run them very hard with 44's chromos and ctm's and they dont break.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im not saying that the D60 is "too small" for everyone... but if you want to run 53" michelins, for example, and big a huge 502 with nitrous or something, you are gonna break D60 parts left and right. Whether or not an axle is "too small" or not depends on what kinda stress you are going to put on it. If you're looking to spend $5k on a D60, you prolly need more axle.

AFA rockies "not being enough"... I think with Ouverson parts it'd be enough for anyone... even with a blown big block and 53" michelins. Supposedly Randy has several customers that are running full on monster truck tires (66s?) with his 2" shaft kit in their rockies and they have no breakage. yikes!

j

14. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Bite, naw, chew that bullet. :bow:

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've got them on my D60 but the rig isn't finished so I can't comment on performance yet. I went crossover and I'm only running 35" tires so it may be overkill. I thought I bought mine directly from Dedenbear, but I can't remember. HAD and ORD both sell them.