Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deal at Kragen- Engine hoist/stand combo $129.00

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Dec 16, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Was reading the paper today and Kragen is having a Friday, Saturday, Sunday only sale. They have a 2-ton engine hoist and a 3-legged engine stand combo for $129.00. The brand is Champion. Pretty good price. I just picked one up. I could not find it on the website, or their usual flyer, I just showed the guy the ad in the paper and he brought it out from the back for me. It's the fold-up type of hoist by the way.

It's not stainless, and I haven't miked it yet either........

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Three leg engine stands are a good way to dump an engine on the floor. They should be illegal.

I'm shopping for a hoist to handle a big block on a car with a long nose and the ones around that price scare me. I have a 4 wheel engine stand that I didn't feel was up to the task so I also replaced it with a stronger one as well.

Go to places like Kragen and then Northern Tool or Harbor freight and compare. There is a huge difference between what you are looking at and the model just $40 more.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I bought a 3-leg engine stand 10 years ago. For the occasional use it sees it's ok, just need to be a little more aware of what your doing. Handles the v6 and SBC with no problems. I don't think I'd want to put a BBC on it though.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My buddy bought one for next to nothing (kinda like the guy above). He took some scrap square tubing and misc steel and made a bolt on outrigger for the "front" to help guard against tipover, along with a brace between the upright and "base" to help support heavier loads. Just a thought to help save a busted engine (or leg).

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

ive never had a big issue with the three legged ones and big blocks...however, now that im older I remember that is was not to funny every time I tried to move it on the drive way:crazy:

6. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i have a bbc on a 3 legged stand. too sketchy to wrench on, just dont move it around and your cool. Stay way clear of driveways and cracks. I highly recommend a 4 legged stand thats heavy duty. At least you can wrench on the stand if its the 4 legged one and move it around.

7. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I will beef up the 3-legger, I'll weld on the parts to make it a four-legger. And the hoist if I think it needs it, but I am a very occasional user, I'm not swapping engines all the time, so for the price, these will do just fine.

The regular price of the hoist alone, according to the partsamerica.com site, is $174.99, the stand $60.00. I'd call it a pretty good deal.