Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deal of a lifetime??? revisited(and edited)oops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Feb 17, 2003.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Talked to the owner today to get more details about the truck I'm looking at. Here's some of the skinny.
    It is a 1990 GMC K3500 4x4. 454, IFS, FF14bolt dually rear, TH400, 63226 miles(ORIGINAL), 8 lug tractor truck looking chrome rims(gotta go), a/c, am/fm radio, plow, ventshades, visor clearance lights. That's pretty much the overview. The only rust is on the passenger rocker panel that I saw, plus the driver's side dually fender is busted up pretty bad. Paint is ok, but no surface rust anywhere except that passenger rocker. Plow goes with truck and the guy has the blade. Spartan interior with a/c and bench seat, but no ps/pw. Gauges are also minimal. Should have ps/pb. Owner replaced all fuel lines and has done front end work, the extent of which is unknown so far. Truck used to be a contractor truck. Before that, it was owned by the gov't I believe. Asking price $4000 and I've already lined up the money. I'm not looking forward to the 3sp auto, but I can live with it for now and maybe drop in a GV overdrive unit later. Looking for opinions. I have a couple of pics. I'll edit this post when I get them linked up.
    http://cards.webshots.com/cp-47742796-eeJl-album/63976918iwiiZf

2. TULSAK5

TULSAK5 Registered Member

Re: Deal of a lifetime??? revisited

I'm guessing it's 4x4 if it has a plow. What does it have for an engine? Diesel, big block, or small block?

3. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Re: Deal of a lifetime??? revisited

Thanks bro. Totally flipped out on that one and forgot the most important parts. I edited. And yes, it is 4x4 and it has a 454. I do not know if it's fuel injected though.

4. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

4 G's is not a bad price for all that muscle. I am sure there are those who have seen it for less and those who have seen it for more. It should be Throttle Body Injected. You could probably sell/trade the aluminum simulators/wheels for the bed fender you need. The good thing about that truck is the mileage, it has a lot of life left in it. It really depends on if that truck will suit the things you like to do. Mud bogs-NO, pulling massive loads and having 4x4 when needed-Yes. Are you going to keep your K5 and have this one?

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I didin't think they came out with the IFS 1-ton 4x4 version until '92.....are you sure it's a 1-ton and not just badged a 1-ton? Check the VIN...

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Mod bogs-NO. Pulling muscle and 4x4 when needed-YES. Yep. Seems to suit me just fine. Good points though. It's totally livable with in current form. Still a project truck, but way less on the "project" and more "truck". Even already has a trailer hitch.
    And nope, not keeping the Jimmy. Sorry to be selling out and getting rid of the K5, but the amount of "project" in that one is just too much for me to handle and I don't have the space to work on it at will(I live in a apt).

7. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I thought that kinda strange, too. Body just doens't seem right for a 1990, but then, I don't know much about the pickup bodies. It has "K3500" badges, but I do want to see the title to make sure. What would I look for in the VIN? The owner lives only a few buildings down so I can go look at it whenever I want.

8. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I think if the title shows it as a K3500 and the VIN matches, I would not worry. The title should also tell you that it is a 1 ton. If you have the dough and like the truck and it does not have any major problems, the decision is pretty easy.

9. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I agree. I do think the price is good for the truck. The th400 doesn't worry me much as it's a strong unit. What in the VIN would say it's a 1 ton?

10. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Well in Texas, the title will actually say if it is a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or 1 ton. It says something like load capacity and then under it says 1/2, or this is what the one for my Jimmy says. I am sure there is some letter or combo of letters in the VIN that mean 1 ton, but I don't know what they are. K in the vin means 4x4 and thats about all I know.

11. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

GM only kept the straight axle on the 1-ton crew-cabs until 1991. The regular and x-tended cabs got the IFS in 88 when they went with the new body style. The crew cabs and suburbans kept the old body style until 1992. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So the truck in the pic would be a 1-ton /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifJust buy the truck and swap in a straight axle, then you would have a bullet proof tow or work truck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like a pretty nice rig. However, being an ex-gov't and contractor truck, and it has a plow on it, could all add up to a truck that has been worked VERY hard. Did it rack up most of those 63K miles plowing snow? That's a lot harder on the engine and drivetrain than cruising around town. Just something to consider.

Gear Vendors overdrive units cost around $2,400 plus installation. It would take a VERY long time to recoup that amount from any fuel savings. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If you were gonna tow stuff cross country for a living, then it might eventually pay for itself. But most people never put enough miles on a rig to get the savings. Just think of it as an expensive toy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Good points and well taken. But, I'm gonna for it anyway. The current owner has told me of some of the work he has done such as replace all fuel lines, put on 6 new tires, and some front end work(to be determined but probably tie rod ends and the like). I'll hopefully be getting the full skinny this weekend or sooner, depending on the weather. He's one of the maintenance guys at the apt complex I live in and the snow has been keeping him busy. Plus, I want to see the blade first. He said he doesn't keep it here.