Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deal of a lifetime??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Feb 16, 2003.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I'm almost ready to give up my K5. A guy in my apt complex has a 1 ton dually 1990 GMC truck. Reg cab 4x4, long bed, plow kit, 454, TH400(I think), IFS, 6 new tires, 68,000 ORIGINAL miles. One TINY spot of rust, big chunk missing from driver's side dually fender, and paint is ok, some peeling, but then, such is the case with GM's paint. Was previously a gov't truck. He wants $4000 for it. If it were a diesel, I would have bought it yesterday. But what's it worth? Is it worth picking up? I'm considering dropping my 6.2/built 700r4 in it and selling the 454/th400. Man. All the good oppurtunities come when I don't have any money.
    I need some real smart people to chime in with specs on that 1 ton. There are things I don't know like which t-case is in it(242?), will the 700r4 use the 400 tranny mount?

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Sorry 'bout that

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'd be happy to take the 454 off your hands if you get it. You wouldn't want that big bulky thing anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I thought they were too. I thought 1 tons were SFA and old body still with new grill like burbans and blazers till 91.

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly there was both a C/K 1 Ton (IFS) and the body style we love R/V 1 Ton /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif (SFA)from 88-92

6. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

I think that subs, k5s, and CREW cab 1-tons remained good body style.

7. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Check and make sure that the '90 does not already have a overdrive tranny in it. Could be the 4L80. I am pretty sure if you change to a different transmission you will be changing mounts and crossmembers. Then you have to worry about mating the T-Case to the other transmission. I would not spend the time to change anything, especially since it has a TBI 454 in it. I know a diesel gets better mileage and the fuel is supposed to be cheaper, but a fuel injected 454 is the sh!t. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I'll go talk to the owner this week and get some more details on the truck. What's that 454/th400 worth to you? If it's something I can swing, I may get it. I'd love to toss my leaky 6.2/built 700 in it and sell the 454. I wonder though if my 700 would mate to the t-case. Eh. Still, you got me thinking.....................

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

maybe it was just crew cabs that remained the "good" style? I can't say I ever saw an 88-91 1ton single cab just crew.

10. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah your right come to think of it

11. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Yea. You're right, but I will still be getting some details on the truck. The owner wants to sell so I'm sure it's worth something to some one.
    I'll have to pass on my original dream and concentrate on what I have. But right now this rust is out of control and it looks like a body swap is all that will cure it. Even if dude could redo the rear corssmember, I have 2 floor supports, both inner and outer rockers, and good sized holes in the rear floor corners that are gone. Not to mention what you can see on the fenders and doors. But, I won't go back to gas.........................
    /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif