Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dealing with car lots.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, May 1, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Been doing some car shopping for my mother, The 98 Stratus (my daily driver) is in both mine and her name. It's got 83,000 miles on it so I feel it's time to trade it off. I really like the Buick Riviera with the 3800 Supercharged engine. Anyways, we went and looked at a 98 with 50,000 miles on it at a local Ford dealership, they took it as a trade. Test drove it, like it alot, but the price was alittle high. The Stratus + $8,500.00 . Now, after not getting back to them for almost a week, the salesman calls offering to sell us the 98 Riviera for the Stratus + $5,500.00 . I'm telling ya, if you are car shopping, don't be in a rush, let the dealer sweat loosing a sell, they'll come down on the price !!!! I've been given that advice for years, but always caved into the pressure the salesman put on ya. Feels really good to be getting a hella-deal on a car we really want. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

FYI....That blower is an Eaton 188....the bearing in the nose has a tendency to wear/fail, and cannot be replaced...the blower is a dealer item and runs approx $1500 plus about $800 for installation...there is a place in California where you can actually get a "rebuilt" unit for about $800, but the installation is still another $800....This Eaton 188 is used on the Tbird SC, Cougar TC, Pontiac, and Buick V6 3.8L engines....They go like Hell, great cruiser, and Lotsa Grin Factor.....they also have a number of bastard parts......ask me How I know.....LOL....Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Any idea on the aprox mileage the normally fail at ???

4. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

hey i just got 2001 pontiac gran prix gtp and its got the supercharger. that bitch'll get up and go. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif it sucks to find out about the supercharger though.

i got a deal on it($8000) my brother in law owns a barts car store here in indiana and hooked us up /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just got my Puter back...got the worm....

My 89 Tbird SC 5spd had 30K on it when I bought it in 91 or so....at around 65K a mechanic friend diagnosed a problem I neither heard nor felt...I had to go to the dealer to get a new belt (bastard part $150+), and I was told that this bearing goes tits up at 60-80K...Checking around I found it couldn't be changed/replaced...the best dealer price I found was $1650, and a mechanic friend offered to get it for me for $1500 if he put it on ($800)...I called Ford in Mich and Finally got thru to some customer rep that put me onto a guy in Cali that was the Only authorized rebuilder on the Planet....also got turned on to a SC club out of Virginia who confirmed said info...(this was in like 93)...I got the blower for about $800, paid the $800 installation...Life was good as I was making trips between Dallas and Nashville about once a month (640m one way)....my best time for the 640 is 8hr 20min...ran the I40 Little Rock to Memphis well over 115mph many times...Great cruiser...I turned the odometer back at 135K (showed 82K) and swapped the car and $8500 for my 95 Vette in Feb of 96...I truly missed that car, but knowing what I know, I was scared of the upkeep....I'm thinkin' that Dodge was good for another 60K easy (don't know about body rust, salt, etc)..

I've driven the auto version, and it's a totally different thing from the 5spd....rubber in 3 gears...pulled like a GO-rilla in every gear all the way to the redline....I wish y'all lotsa luck...I hope things have changed since I owned mine... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif