Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deals on 14bolt s/f?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 31, 2000.

There has to be a cheeper place to buy one of these damn things besides here!!!!I called about one they want $800 for a non posi 3.73!!There crazy,any one know of any beter deals colse to Ohio?

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What ratio are you looking for? I have a s/f with 4.10's and a gov-lok. I am in Hermitage, PA just inside PA from the Ohio line.

Are you in a hurry? I may be able to get it closer to you if you are not in a hurry and I dont want much for it.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. How much do you want for it,I don't mind the drive if the deals right!There any good trails around you?Have to do some wheeling your not that far!!I might be moving to the columbus area,be even closer then.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Are you just looking for an 8-lug version from the pre-'88 trucks? I priced these out and the going rate was around $300-350 for a 4.10 or 3.73 ratio.

4. I guess i should have metioned that I was looking for a 6 lug axle, unless I can get a 8 lug real cheap.I've got a 14 bolt f/f with 11" drums.It needs rebuilt,seals bearings.It has a 4.56 gear,the teeth look good.Don't know what the hubs look like though never had the drums off yet,damn i'm lazy!!!LOL.I like the idea of keeping the 6 lug wheels,the s/f case isn't as big,and i'm only running 33" swampers.I plan on going to 36's though.What would you do?

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree about the s/f axle and this will be what I replace my rear 10-bolt with, if or when I decide to upgrade. I'm currently running 35's and 36's would be the absolute max. My plans would be to get a pre-'88 (or '89-'91 out of a Sub) axle, which would be an 8 lugger since 6 lug versions didn't appear until the newer style IFS 88 trucks, and then convert it to 6 lugs. These pre-88 axles should be a direct bolt in concerning spring and shock mounts while the '88 or newer axles would require these mounts to be relocated. For converting to 6 lugs the axle shafts and brake drums can be re-drilled, which according to Moser Engineering's webpage should cost around $100. I think another advantage, at least for me, is that these "older" axles can be found with 4.10 gears which would match my current front ratio, while the '88 and newer axles seem to only go down to 3.73 gears.....not to mention they seem much harder to find, at least around my area.
    The way I look at it, you could buy a ready to run s/f 14-bolt with 4.10 gears for $300, convert to 6 lugs for $100, and slap it in without having to buy new wheels and tires, or converting the front axle to 8 lugs.

6. Right on brother thats the plan!!I thought about converting mine to a 6.5 but to much involved for me right at this moment.Thanks

7. Emmettology 101

That $100 conversion/modify cost, is that total? Also you have a number for them?

I have an 8 lugger and I believe it is older that I originally bought ot put in my Jimmy, but I haven't been abel to find used 6lug shafts. I did find that National drivetrain has 6 lug shafts for roughly $89ea. which is cheaper, but I have no extra cash right now. That is why I was going to sell it, but $100 is cheaper than $200! :)

Just a l ittle info, my friend has an 89 heavy 1/2 ton 4x4 GMC with a s/f 14 bolt, 6 lugger with 4.10's! I want to steal his axles, but I dont think he would be too happy!

Mike [​IMG]

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was planning on calling Moser myselft to verify that price. Their webpage has a price list that says $30 to re-drill a pair of axleshafts and the same for the drums. It was $50/pair if the the existing bolt holes needed plugged (I assume they would do this if the old and new bolt pattern overlapped some holes), so that was were I got the prices from. The only drawback is you would need to get the parts to them, which isn't bad for me since I'm only about 2 hours away but shipping just the axleshafts and drums shouldn't be that painful.
    Moser Engineering's phone number is (219)726-6689. I forget the web address right off hand, but just do a search for Moser and it should come up.

9. Emmettology 101

10. Hey EMMIET do you still want to sell that rear end?
    I've got 3 JL 12's on the audio board for sale,would you be interested in a little tading?

11. Emmettology 101

Ya, I still want to sell it, but unfortunately I need cash right now more than anything. Sorry.

Mike [​IMG]