Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DEAR GOD AN RJ TECH POST - Charging System Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Resurrection_Joe, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Ok I've been noticing the volts reading low on my K10, and today it was in the red and started dropping fast, I got home, but it won't start now.

With my limited knowledge (I get stupider the longer I put off working on my truggy) this must mean the alternator is toasty crap eh?

For a few weeks before it had bad belt squeal, could this be the alt. locking up and mucking up the belt, or was that just my leaky radiator soaking the accesories?

Anyway, I'm guessing alternator at this point, the battery is fairly new, and if the alt was working and the battery no, it would hold level voltage until you shut it off, and then it would read nothing eh?

Ok, ridicule and smirking aside, what to do? Throw an alt in? Anyone got an alt?

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

1 check belts attendance and tightness.
    2 check wiring, heavy guage,should have power constantly, other two wires should have power with key on.
    3 with these conditions met, and a no charging condition , replace alternater and charge battery to full capacity!

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

3 with these conditions met, and a no charging condition , replace alternater and charge battery to full capacity!

[/ QUOTE ]

Better yet, use a REAL battery charger to bring the battery up to full charge.... alternators are not designed to recharge dead batteries, though many people expect them to. It puts a lot of strain on your "new" alternator.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

First thing I'd try is putting the battery on a slow charge... preferably 2 amps so it doesn't hurt the plates. If it doesn't take a charge then the battery is done. If the battery does then the alternator is toast.

I'm leaning towards alternator. But you need to bring the battery back slowly anyway.

5. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

If you have enough hand tools to replace an alternator and battery, and work on something with a charging system, you should have at least a cheap multimeter and battery load tester. (esp. if you live where it's cold) If you read the warranty with your new/reman alternator, you'll see that the warranty is void if you install it with anything less than a fully charged battery. The only way to know which is which without proper diagnostic tools is to trade in a known good battery and check your voltmeter-if your old battery is marginal, it may start once and charge properly, but discharge overnight or fail on the next drive. If you heard horrors from the alternator, most likely it's toast-you'll know bearing failure as soon as you take off the belt and spin it by hand.

6. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

If you have a local parts store around you, such as Checker, Shucks(sp?), Kragen, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc., many of these places will check your battery and alternator for you. Just bring the battery and alternator in to them, and they will let you know if they are up to charge and charging properly. If you have an external regulator, it's possible it could be bad as well.