Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dear Hi Pinion

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 4, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is a real thread...

So Jake, any ideas on why new pipe and faucets have a bleach smell to them??

I put in a new hose spigot on the side of my house, and whenver I use it, the water is overpoweringly bleach smelling. In fact, I even think it's so bleachy it's eating away at the hose, it's bulging in wierd places.
    I at first thought it was the spray nozzle I had on the hose, so I ignored it, except:

I put a new sink in our functional bathroom last week, everything new from the shutoff valve under the floor to the fixture, and I'm starting to smell bleach when I run that water for a while (shaving or something).

There are 3 soldered joints in the outdoor spigot, and 4 soldered joints in each (hot/cold) of the new sink.

All are using the same original 10 ft 1/2" copper (cut up, obviously), the same solder type, same flux.

So whatta ya know? Is there some coating I should've removed from the pipes? Is there something funky about the flux or solder (both are plumbing grades)? Is this totally out of left feild and you never heard of anything like it?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I will give him a call so he knows to get on the kumpooter. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hi pinion rocks..............

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Bulging?????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifNever heard of that before.But i know that the flux might make you sick if you drink that water after soldering.Always wait a day or so after thourouly flushing the lines to clear them from any flux ........ let them run.Try it.It should work........unless you have a water softner doing something funny. Always flush your water haeter out once a year as well, because this is the start of your hot system ,wich goes all through the house. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Feel free to ask more if this dosent work.Does it just smell like bleach for a while and then go away??? Jacob* /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just checked the sink, it seems pretty faint now, but I can smell it.

THe outside hose is bad, though. Spray that for a while, and anything sprayed smells like bleach.

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

So it is going away?? Right? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

hmmm, hard to tell. I'm smelling my hand right now (get your mind out of the gutter!), and it does have a bleachy smell. It might be going away, or it might be the same as it was, it wasn't very strong when I first put the sink in.

I'm guessing this is a new one on you?

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

There is only a handfull of possibilitys.....do you have a water softner? (possibiltys) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif hillibiltys /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Mabey a surge from when you turned the water back on created some exess debri in the softner to get in the lines...???? If you let me ask questions it will be easyer easy-er /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifthese words are spelt funny. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Oh man.are you on a well???????I remember a while ago you siad your dry well pit was full.......to the laundry.......laundry has bleach........water goes into nearby well......mabey /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Nope, town water, someone stole the pump for the well in the 80's, so they filled it in.

No softener either. It's only these three new pipes, the kitchen and the rear spigot have no detectable smell.

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

If it is only the pipes that you soldered....(right?) then i would guess it was just the flux.I think mabey the hose just threw you off and it was a freak thing then. Sounds like from what you have told me ,its the flux.Wait a couple of days, if the problem persists,let that water run real good,mabey stick the hose in a drain somewhere for an hour ,and leave the water run as well in the others too.Try that. Then talk to me /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifTakes a while for it to go away sometimes. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifjacob /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif