Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dear NCHP, Leland/Northwest PD, Brunswick Co. Sheriff:

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Jul 1, 2006.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I have a few things I'd like to point out about the DUI checkpoint I just drove through.

1.) Highway 17 is not a good place for a DUI checkpoint. Ever. Especially not where 4 major highways converge. Not even at 1 am.

2.) The effectiveness of DUI checkpoints is greatly diminished if you're waving cars through instead of stopping them to check for drunk drivers.

3.) If you're gonna make me sit in traffic for 90 ****ing minutes, you better ****ing stop cars and check them instead of blowing your goddamn whistle at me because I'm not driving through your checkpoint fast enough. What the ****?

And lastly, thank you all so very much for making a 45 minute drive into almost a 2 hour drive. Even though I started my trip at 12:30am, I'm so glad that I had the priviledge of sitting in traffic for an hour and a half while you all sat in your cars on the side of the road and did SO much. Suddenly I feel so much better about the fact that a quarter of my paycheck goes to taxes. Please have more of these wonderful, efficient, and effective checkpoints in the future.

Thanks, John.

:mad:

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

:haha::haha:

I think the grumpy face at the end is what made me laugh so hard...

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm sorry that you had to put up with those dumbasses. I've been through there myself, and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

5. thezentree

Seriously. I counted 26 police vehicles. Traffic was backed up into Wilmington
    (that's like 6 miles for you non-NC types). At 1am. And the PD was waving people through.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm sure it was for a good reason. We all know how smart cops are...

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Oh dear, I'm making popcorn and grabbing a beer, just in case Bubba shows up.:D

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'll trade you some peach cobbler for popcorn, I don't have any. :deal:

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

And what? He tries to belittle me with his fancy-pants big words because I state the obvious?

I've got my popcorn.

:p:

10. theperfectgarage

Mmmmm.. peach cobbler and beer, my favorite.:rolleyes: :wink1:

11. theperfectgarage

All in fun,:p: I think Bubba seems edgy the last few days, but what do I know? I'm just a f****** noob from the old school.:laugh:

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

You sound like another highly intelligent citizen... fully aware of all laws, procedures, mandates, and dictates. I think you should consider running for Sheriff so that you can fully implement your ideas.

13. thezentree

I'm not implying that I'm cut out to be Sheriff, and I'm not trying to say cops r dum. I just think it's kind of ridiculous to back traffic up that far and not check anyone. That road is usually empty. You might pass four of five cars that time of night when you're going down that stretch. Why in the hell would you go to all that effort to get everyone in the dept out there, set up cones, lights, signs, etc, and not stop anyone? Meanwhile traffic's backed up for miles for no apparent reason. Something just don't add up, and after workin an 18 hour day, I'm going to get a little irritable if I've gotta go through that hassle and they're not even stopping people.

Is this common procedure? I mean, please, tell me how this is an effective anti-DUI tool, and I'll shut the hell up.

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I don't think it's an effective anti-DUI tool... the drunks would be sober by the time they get to the check point :haha: :haha: :haha:

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Ah yes, the eloquence, yet subtle way of telling people they don't know what the **** they are talking about.:D

Feel free to whine about a DUI checkpoint all you want, feel free to blame the agencies for the way the checkpoint is set up. Forget the fact that checkpoints actually have been looked at hard by courts and the courts have actually thrown out some stipulations that have to be met by the agencies conducting the checkpoint. Yup, that's all the agencies' fault right there....................................:surepal: :surepal: :surepal:

16. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

A dui is only a murderer that hasnt completed their act... occasional hassle to the rest of us for a life is worth it...

Can checkpoints be run poorly.. sure... can they be effective... sure...
    I prefer those 25 cars in what I call a moving checkpoint.. so they cover more ground...
    and I would be happy to be proactive and sit across the street from a bar at 2 am when they close and take down anyone who looks intoxicated in anyway... dont think the citziens would like that ..but hey .. it works...

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I know you were probably around for "The Summer of Love" but I'm here to tell ya this summer is turning into "The Summer of Whiny Bitch Attention Whoring."

We might as well pack up the bags and quit chatting about how courts have a lot of say in the way we do our job and quit dropping names like Ted Bundy and Timothy McVeigh and let the people stumble through life until they get bitch slapped by the Whupping Stick of Reality in a very profound and violent way........................................................

:D :D :D

18. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

I have a very bad view of drunk drivers. But it wouldn't be because of 4 dead friends from drunk drivers, would it, nah no way. And it sure couldn't be from the asshat who sideswiped me 2 years ago.
    My version is a DUI gets the death penalty.....
    George

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

By the way, the courts have long held that if a law enforcement agency decides to do a DUI checkpoint, they have to publicize it first. Usually this is accomplished over the A.M. radio and on TV prior to the actual deployment. As a result, the drunks popped in these checkpoints are not only drunk, they are incredibly stupid too.....

20. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Drinking and driving (drunk) automatically qualifies someone as stupid, IMO.